Sausage Making Day At Casa TX: 2 Flavors Of Italian (W / Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those sausages look great Robert! I know who’s house I’m going to during the apocalypse, you could feed a village off your sausage stash.

Yeah I have a to-do list a mile long as well, I’ll get there one day. I’ve been thinking about buying one of those jerky cannons to make ground beef jerky. Sometimes I don’t feel up to freezing and slicing meat. I would like to try the ground jerky once in awhile to change it up.

Like!!

Thought you could sneak this thread by me by not posting it in the sausage forum eh Robert??? LOL!

Well I'm on to you....and the links look great! How you been? and Happy thanksgiving.

BTW, I've run probably 120# of bacon through that slicer since receiving it...works great without a hitch. When I upgrade, I'll pass it onto someone else on SMF. The traveling slicer! LOL!

Thought you could sneak this thread by me by not posting it in the sausage forum eh Robert??? LOL!

Keith!! Great to see you my friend. I wasn't trying to be sneaky at all. I may have just had a brain fart and put it in the wrong forum. Honestly though, I think I posted it in the Sausage forum and the mods move it here to befuddle you. Looks like it worked :emoji_laughing:

Well I'm on to you....and the links look great! How you been? and Happy thanksgiving.

Yep, you got me figured out. Now if I could just figure myself out.....and thanks for the compliments. I had a few good teachers here, thank you sir :emoji_wink: We have been good. It's the busy season for most but this is the time of year I get a month to wind down a bit. Not much goes on in the construction industry from just before Thanksgiving to just past New Year. Happy T'giving to you and yours also!!

BTW, I've run probably 120# of bacon through that slicer since receiving it...works great without a hitch. When I upgrade, I'll pass it onto someone else on SMF. The traveling slicer! LOL!

It was a good little slicer. I never had any issues with it at all, and I sliced a LOT of meat on that thing. Glad it's still serving you well. Of all the legacies to create in SMF, mine will be that of the Travelling Slicer. That's just too funny!!

Good to see you again!!
Robert

When I went to the freezer the other day to get the Italian sausage to make the lasagna I came to a horrible conclusion: this was my last package. No links, none in bulk, no sweet, and no spicy. Time to get off my lazy a$$ and make some. Tracy was headed into town yesterday morning with a planned stop at Costco. She picked me up a 16.4# double pack of boneless butts. As soon as she got home I immediately set about making some sausage. It's the sin of all sins for us to be out of Italian sausage!!

Here's my butt....well not really :emoji_wink:
View attachment 411834

All the tools needed for cutting it up
View attachment 411835

First pan cut up. I always go 2 oz over to make up for the wad of meat that always gets stuck in the grinder
View attachment 411836

Second pan
View attachment 411837

Both pans ready to go into the freezer to chill
View attachment 411838

Will be stuffing some and bagging some in bulk. Since it's small batches being stuffed, was not worth getting the big stuffer out so used the jerky cannon
View attachment 411839

Spices all mixed up. Spicy on the left and sweet on the right
View attachment 411840

Got a section of casing soaking
View attachment 411841

I add spices to the meat in layers as it's grinding. Makes mixing much more efficient
View attachment 411842

First batch all mixed up
View attachment 411843

Jerky cannon loaded, casing onto the stuffing horn, and got my measuring table out. We're ready to go
View attachment 411848

I run these in 13" links, hold the casing at the 6 1/2" point and massage the casing to move the meat around before twisting. This greatly reduces the chance of a blowout. I get two 6" links, which are perfect for sausage sammies. Fuzzy pic....sorry.
View attachment 411850

Three double links of both flavors. the rest will be vac sealed in bulk
View attachment 411851

All done. Total I got 14 meals of sausage for a cost of just slightly over $20. When pork butt goes on sale for $.99 a pound, you can pretty much cut that cost in half.
View attachment 411852

This is one of the many incredible, life-changing things I've learned from this forum. It's fun to do and there's just no comparison to store bought. Now the jerky cannon has a bit of a history but to keep it short, I bought one that used the same diameter base for the stuffing horns as the big stuffer. When doing small batches though, it's just not worth the time it takes to clean the big one so I use this. Yes, I have to fill the tube 3 times for each flavor but that's a LOT less time and work that cleaning the big one. Over the past couple weeks I've made these, a batch of breakfast sausage, and a batch of smoked Cajun sausage. It had been a while because I was on a massive sausage making binge for a long time and we had a stockpile of stuff that was a bit over the top. Then all of a sudden I look up and we're running out. Not a good thing once you get used to having it readily available.

Oh well....I've eaten up enough bandwidth....again. See y'all on the next one

Robert
Nice job Robert they look great you been busy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky