Roll out switch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buddy55

Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hello,
I have been of touch for awhile. I got sick with corona, really bad, but getting better.

My analog smoker now has a PID Controller, cool right.
I have a digital MES 30. My question is about the thermal rollout switch.
What does it do?
Is it really necessary?
Do I really need it?
Can I wire around it with the old controller?
If I change to a PID, can I just wire around it?
Thanks in advance.

tallbm tallbm will be able to help. Here is some info that may be helpful.

Reactions: tallbm and TNJAKE
The roll out switch is a safety device, intended to prevent a run away condition. Should electronics fail in a constant "ON" condition the roll out will open the circuit at 300 deg F.
The insulation is rated a little above 300 F and may begin to smolder or burn a little above that. So the roll out is a fail safe to prevent catastrophic failure. Things happen, probes fail ect.

Is it necessary/ do you need it ? kinda the same question. Do you value anything that might catch fire, should your smoker burn down ? Is protecting your smoker and surrounding collateral worth a $5 part ?

Can you wire around it, work without it, with or without a PID ? Yes. I find it VERY ill-advised to do so and will not participate in instructing you in how to do so.

I have worked in electronics/electrical for over 40 years and in that time I have seen many plans take a bad turn due to safety over-rides. I will do so in the name of trouble shooting, but nothing permanent. That is one safety feature that IS NOT overkill.

Thank you mosparky. That helped me a lot. Maybe I should consider figuring out how to add one to my other smoker (analog).
Now for the next question.
What does the 'control' board do?

You dont need it if your pit probe on a calibrated therm has a range alarm. I have mine set to 145-290 so I get an alert if temp drops from a power outage, failed controller or element or a failed roll out switch that is open at 100° and the smoker is cooling as the controller is calling for heat with the red heating light on. Also, if my smoker is on fire so I just don't walk out to a cold smoker or a fire. I'll take an alert vs a $1 switch that ruins a smoke and causes a food safety senario. Especially with a night smoke. I bypassed my Mes 30 and 40 limit switch with a wire nut or just make a power cord directly terminated to the element and grounded to the chassis like an element access screw for a PID. Most food safety scenarios are from night smokes and the elec smoker died or ran out of fuel. With a grease fire the limit switch will open the circuit but you have to put out the fire and you need to be alerted to go to it and see what the cause of the alert is.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
B Buddy55 I have an MES 30 with an Auber controller . I did the Re-wire using tallbm's info as linked above in post 2 . It leaves the limit switch in the circuit and functional .
2 years ago it saved me . Chamber probe didn't cycle the controller and it just kept heating . I had a ink bird therm watching things , but it didn't alert me .
Went out to check the cook , and the smoker was off . Checked my phone , and it said 350 . Not sure how hot it got , or when it tripped . I wouldn't go without it in line .

Hello,
I have been of touch for awhile. I got sick with corona, really bad, but getting better.

My analog smoker now has a PID Controller, cool right.
I have a digital MES 30. My question is about the thermal rollout switch.
What does it do?
Is it really necessary?
Do I really need it?
Can I wire around it with the old controller?
If I change to a PID, can I just wire around it?
Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome!

I think the guys have you covered very well :)

With the simple MES rewire post you can cut the ends off 4 wires and splice to make 2 wires and keep the safety rollout limit switch in the circuit.

To answer you question about the bottom circuit board... It is there connect everything together so the controller can control the stock MES components.
That circuit board has a simple relay switch which cuts power on/off to the heating element from the power cord when the stock MES controller reads the temps and decides to do so.

It also allows for the light to be turned off and on within the MES from the controller, etc. etc.

With the simple rewire you basically bypass that board so that the MES cord feeds power directly to the heating element while keeping the safety rollout switch wired in place.

Once rewired you plug the MES cord into the PID. Plug the PID into the wall and drop the PID temp probe into the MES.
Now the PID will cut power on/off to the MES cord until it hits and holds the set temp you entered into the PID.
Easy peasy :)

Let us know if you have any other questions. I'm sure we can help :)

I set the temp of my MES to about10 degrees above the temp I want.. In the event my dimmer switch fails... Haven't needed it to work "yet"...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky