Rib Roast, Meatloaf, and a new toy!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well we finally had a nice day. Sunny skies, temps in the lower 50s, and no real wind. What made it even nicer was it happen to fall on my day off. I got a new toy for Christmas from my wife and have been itching to use it for a while now. So monday I took a rib roast out of its' cryogenic state hoping the weatherman would be right for a change. He was thankfully.

Here's the new toy: A slow-n-sear

DSC01181.JPG

Shot from the front:
DSC01182.JPG

Loaded with charcoal and apple wood. A Weber starter cube is lit and sitting in the corner.
DSC01183.JPG

Added two cups of boiling water to the trough, and the rib roast.
DSC01184.JPG

It's been since mid November since I've fired up one of my kettles or smoker. So I decided to toss a meatloaf on to replenish the freezr stock.
DSC01186.JPG

After a few PBRs and 4 hours the roast is done.
DSC01188.JPG

Bones removed and the first slice.
DSC01189.JPG

Meatloaf is next:
DSC01192.JPG

For you kettle heads that are on the fence about the slow-n-sear. I'm giving it an initial thumbs up. Although I did have a hard time stabilizing the temps in the begining - it finally settled in nicely at 250*(after about an hour). I did however notice 10*+/- fluctuations at different points in the cook. Not sure what caused them for certain, but I have a couple of thoughts. For a first use I think it preformed as advertised. More testing to come. Oh yeah I burned thru about half of the charcoal during this cook. So about a half of a Weber chimney. This was also cooked on my 26" kettle.

Side notes:

Rib roast was fantastic. SPOG and cooked to a tad over 125* +carryover. A little overcooked for my liking but still tasted great.

Meat loaf was a mix of 2lbs ground beef, 1lb ground pork, Tony C's cerole seasoning, SBRs, ground pepper, two eggs and oats. Topped with three strips of bacon.

Thanks for looking
Chris

Attachments

• DSC01189.JPG
    DSC01189.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
Chris,

that looks awesome! I would love to have either one of those right now. I had an early shift covering heavy calls at the Helpdesk. Not much time for a Sunday breakfast. I’m looking forward to some vortex chicken this afternoon. Thanks for the beautiful qview.
G

Nice cook and post, Chris!
I've loved my Vortex but it seems you lose too much grill space doing indirect. This the first I've heard of the slow-n-sear. Where would one find one?
Dan

I'd love to be sitting down to either one of those hunks of protein Chris, both look to be real nice from where I'm sitting, Like! RAY

Chris,

that looks awesome! I would love to have either one of those right now. I had an early shift covering heavy calls at the Helpdesk. Not much time for a Sunday breakfast. I’m looking forward to some vortex chicken this afternoon. Thanks for the beautiful qview.
G

Thanks G for the like and compliment, I work every other weekend 12hrs shifts so I understand what your saying.

Nice cook and post, Chris!
I've loved my Vortex but it seems you lose too much grill space doing indirect. This the first I've heard of the slow-n-sear. Where would one find one?
Dan

Adrenaline BBQ is where my wife got it(I'm pretty sure). If your not doing wings slide the Vortex over to one side of your kettle and you should gain more real estate. That's how I do steaks and chops. Thanks for the like and kind words appreciate them. This slow-n-sear is sized for my 22" kettle, but it works in my 26" kettle which is what I used in this post.

Chris

Well we finally had a nice day. Sunny skies, temps in the lower 50s, and no real wind. What made it even nicer was it happen to fall on my day off. I got a new toy for Christmas from my wife and have been itching to use it for a while now. So monday I took a rib roast out of its' cryogenic state hoping the weatherman would be right for a change. He was thankfully.

Here's the new toy: A slow-n-sear

View attachment 437905
Shot from the front:
View attachment 437906

Loaded with charcoal and apple wood. A Weber starter cube is lit and sitting in the corner.
View attachment 437908

Added two cups of boiling water to the trough, and the rib roast.
View attachment 437910

It's been since mid November since I've fired up one of my kettles or smoker. So I decided to toss a meatloaf on to replenish the freezr stock.
View attachment 437913

After a few PBRs and 4 hours the roast is done.
View attachment 437915

Bones removed and the first slice.
View attachment 437916

Meatloaf is next:
View attachment 437917

For you kettle heads that are on the fence about the slow-n-sear. I'm giving it an initial thumbs up. Although I did have a hard time stabilizing the temps in the begining - it finally settled in nicely at 250*(after about an hour). I did however notice 10*+/- fluctuations at different points in the cook. Not sure what caused them for certain, but I have a couple of thoughts. For a first use I think it preformed as advertised. More testing to come. Oh yeah I burned thru about half of the charcoal during this cook. So about a half of a Weber chimney. This was also cooked on my 26" kettle.

Side notes:

Rib roast was fantastic. SPOG and cooked to a tad over 125* +carryover. A little overcooked for my liking but still tasted great.

Meat loaf was a mix of 2lbs ground beef, 1lb ground pork, Tony C's cerole seasoning, SBRs, ground pepper, two eggs and oats. Topped with three strips of bacon.

Thanks for looking
Chris
Roast looks great, as does the meatloaf.

Nice work Chris . I've looked at those . Be watching for more testing .
Meat looks great , doing meat loaf myself today .

Beautiful Job, Chris!!!
Nice Job!
Like.
However I can see I'm way overdue for a Prime Rib myself, judging by the drool on my chin!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky