Resting Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apparently Private Messages are not showing up and being saved after they have been sent. I did not get your response. It is not showing either and did not come through.

Each time I click on the little envelope next to the bell I get a message that I have no recent conversations. Perhaps a glitch in the new format. I will have to check with Brian about this.
When it says no recent conversations click on the very bottom left where it says "show all". That will give you all the conversation you've ever had that weren't delted

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I don't use the chat forum.
I don't either but I get private messages there all the time
Screenshot_20221018_200700.png

Looks like this

I smoke Mozzi cheese every winter, smoking for 3 hours using Apple dust. Then fridge cool while still on the racks for overnite. Then I vacuum seal.

I do a couple of days of mellowing and make sure to dry any condensation. i don't allow oils to break out. I use a sawdust smoke generator, so my cheeses are edible throughout the entire smoking and mellowing process, but after vacuum sealing I age about a week before giving any away.

I smoke for 2.5-3 hours. Then allow them to rest on the counter for a few hours. Then either put in paper bags. Or wrap loosely in plastic wrap overnight. Next day I I'll blot dry any moisture on the cheese and vacuum pack and let it rest for at least a month in the fridge. I think the paper bag trick is used to wick any skin moisture from the cheese.

Reactions: BandCollector
I smoke for 2.5-3 hours. Then allow them to rest on the counter for a few hours. Then either put in paper bags. Or wrap loosely in plastic wrap overnight. Next day I I'll blot dry any moisture on the cheese and vacuum pack and let it rest for at least a month in the fridge. I think the paper bag trick is used to wick any skin moisture from the cheese.

Thanks Steve,

You are exactly correct.

In the past I simply placed the smoked cheese in the refrigerator overnight and then blotted any remaining moisture before vacuum packing. This time when I used the paper bag approach there was no moisture. Easy Peasy!

Take care,

John

Last edited:
Hello all, I am intrigued about using a paper bag or similar during resting after being smoked. Do you lay the cheese blocks as a single layer in the paper bag? Could one lay a sheet of butcher paper on the rack, load a single layer of smoked cheese blocks on the paper with a slight gap between each block and then lay another sheet of paper on top of the blocks? Then into the fridge for an overnight rest? Use paper towel instead of butcher paper because it might breathe easier?

I've always just put the rack of smoked cheese blocks back into the fridge for an overnite rest. Next day, blot and vacuum up.

Hello all, I am intrigued about using a paper bag or similar during resting after being smoked. Do you lay the cheese blocks as a single layer in the paper bag? Could one lay a sheet of butcher paper on the rack, load a single layer of smoked cheese blocks on the paper with a slight gap between each block and then lay another sheet of paper on top of the blocks? Then into the fridge for an overnight rest? Use paper towel instead of butcher paper because it might breathe easier?

I've always just put the rack of smoked cheese blocks back into the fridge for an overnite rest. Next day, blot and vacuum up.
I just lay them in a single layer. Keep a small gap between them in a paper bag. If you're referring to the butcher paper used for smoking. Then I would think it'll work fine.

The paper bag idea is for it to absorb the moisture off the cheese... The problem is.. If the bags not touching the cheese then it's not going to wick/absorb the moisture from the cheese...

This is just my thoughts as to the performance of the bag...

Reactions: Marknmd
The paper bag idea is for it to absorb the moisture off the cheese... The problem is.. If the bags not touching the cheese then it's not going to wick/absorb the moisture from the cheese...

This is just my thoughts as to the performance of the bag...
Doesn't need to touch the cheese. It still draws the moisture.

Here’s my new cheese resting idea using butcher smoking paper

B9574625-02A7-4E30-9235-1C151B5D8B97.jpeg
32B21E04-AC74-431C-A22B-353C80771F83.jpeg
E1427392-12ED-4BE9-929C-E165899116A2.jpeg

And into the mini fridge for a couple days…..
4C442D13-3E1D-48F7-BBB5-C975A6DAC155.jpeg

Reactions: Steve H
Interesting,,, I have done LOTS of cheese and never heard of the paper bag experiment... May have to give that a try,,, just did 30lbs Tillamook sharp and Medium cheddar yesterday and will be doing 30 - 60lbs in the next week or so,,, these go great with the cheese cutting boards I make.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky