Quick roasted chicken dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I threw together a simple one-pan chicken dinner that is pretty hands off and really satisfying - even for someone who feels like they've cooked way too much chicken during the last few weeks!

I started with onions, potatoes, carrots and celery, and seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. When the pan was hot and sizzling and added a few glugs of balsamic vinegar. Took a 4.5 pound bird that had been doing a quick 45 minute soak in very salty water and seasoned with SPOG, paprika, and then rubbed with a bit (ok, a lot) of Kerrygold butter. Covered with tented foil and roasted at 400 for about an hour. I thought the bird might dry out at high heat but I think the foil really helped. The chicken was really moist and the areas of the skin that didn't get as crispy were still really well rendered and tasty. There was a great sauce created from the balsamic, chicken drippings, butter, and veggies. No need to make a gravy, it was delicious as-is. The acidity of the balsamic really complimented the sweetness of the carrots and onions. And the humble braised celery was sooo good. No plated shots, I was too busy opening a bottle of white wine at that point :)
IMG_20200406_173838.jpg

While I'm getting a little tired of cooking lately (and I LOVE cooking), I feel incredibly grateful and lucky that our family is healthy, employed, and can shelter in place in a comfortable, warm home. Hope all of you folks are doing well.

Very nice, Omnivore!
I have a chicken thawed for this afternoon. I wish I had some carrots and celery (not planning to get out until Thursday). :-(
Guess I'll have to use my imagination....
Like!

Reactions: Omnivore
Mariko, that is a beautiful meal. Chicken looks gorgeous and the veggies tantalizing. I'll bet that gravy was to die for. Great looking meal!! As Jake said, magazine quality presentation. The only thing lacking from your dinner...was my presence :emoji_wink: I'd have gladly eaten a big ol' plate of that!!

Robert

Reactions: Omnivore
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky