Quick questions from a newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ppzhao

Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Hi - I'm moving into an apartment building and I'm planning on getting a gas grill for the balcony.  A few questions:

1. Is gas grill safer than charcoal on a balcony?  My thought is that gas grill is "controlled fire" and I can turn it off anytime it gets too high, instead of charcoal just burns high if I put too many coals in it and there's nothing I can do.  Is this correct?

2. Can I put smoker box on top of the cooking grate instead of under it, and does it work as well?  I dislike touching the cooking grate and try to avoid touching it if I can help it.

3. Does the grill essentially clean itself, and the fire will burn away whatever bad things that was left over?  Can I leave the fire on after I finish cooking, scrape the grate with a metal spatula while it's on fire and call it a day as far as cleaning up goes?

Thanks for everyone's help.

--Paul.

Gas is safer? yeah I suppose you can't blow up with a big bag of charcoal whether it be a house or an apartment.

Charcoal only burns as hot as it can based on a couple different factors:

1. fuel load

2. current rate of burn

3. amount of oxygen allowed in to feed current rate of burn

Last edited:
Whichever you do make sure you keep safety a priority.  I have seen a gas grill catch fire to the point it probably would have exploded if it had not been pushed into a swimming pool.  Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

I am not positive on the smoker box question but it should work as I have seen people make smoke pouches with foil and have it on top of the grate.  In any case you should try to get used to handling the grates if possible to make things like that easier.  Just be careful not to drop one on somebodys head from the balcony.

Yes, you can clean your grates like that but you will probably be better off with a wire brush and you will want to give them more thourough cleanings from time to time,as well as drip pans and burner covers etc. below the grates to help avoid flare ups etc.

Just my two cents but hopefully it will help you out.

Check with your apartment.  The first apartment complex my wife and I lived in did not allow grills of any kind on porches.  Fire code and whatnot.  Ask your leasing office first which kind they recommend or require, but do not be surprised if they say you cannot start even a controlled fire on your deck.  I know I'm the turd in the punchbowl, but it's better then receiving a letter from your apartment complex asking you to remove the grill you just bought.

Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure and all that.

Check with your apartment.  .........did not allow grills of any kind on porches.  Fire code and whatnot.  Ask your leasing office first which kind they recommend or require, but do not be surprised if they say you cannot start even a controlled fire on your deck. 

You are absolutely right. Many condo and apt. Complexes don't allow grills of any kind on decks or balconies. The condo where my son lives had a real bad fire some years ago and they are death on fires of any kind.

Most municipalities do not allow charcoal grills on decks. Some municipalities go so far as to say that gas grills must be "hard plumbed" to the buildings gas supply. Check with your apartment manager and local codes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky