Question about wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How do you run the intake on your firebox wide open you could try really cutting it back maybe a quarter open after you have a nice good size bed of coals going.

Another guy talked to said instead of using splits the size of a coke can he uses in the size of a 2 Litter soda bottle and that has helped him you could try that.

I think the size of my smoker can't accommodate a big split ( the size of a 2l Cola bottle) it can if the fire box is fully open I used to leave it open and I'd get thin smoke with great results but after talking to some people since it wastes a lot of wood (burns faster) Ive been working on closing the firebox door down more and more got it to about a quarter open, also with that being said the last cook half the time i was getting thin Blue smoke to even no smoke with the damper being closed 2/3-3/4 of the way once getting the fire started while the other half not so much but definitely not black just thicker and no way you could put your head over the stack and not burn yours eyes and nose. I was running it at around 275 and before cooking the chicken bumped it up to 300 but most of the time I try cook between 225 and 250 so it's not very high heat.

Definitely make sure your stack is open don’t close that down just the intake try that it’s frustrating I know what you’re going through

O sorry since the first time using an offset smoker I learned not to close it had the most acrid bitter tasting brisket haha. Was referring to the intake on the firebox. I'll let you know if anything fixes the problem with the black film on meat so hopefully it'll help you too. If you did any longer cooks with a higher fat protein did you also notice it leaves an imprint on your fingers or wherever the meat touches? If so then we must have the exact same issue

Still learning everytime I use the smoker and a lot of things about it are frustrating but also relaxing so hopefully fairly soon can improve and cook with no problems

With older wood be sure to remove the bark. As it ages it will become soft and burn like paper. Remove the bark from your wood. Be sure to keep a good draft going and get your fire hot. Then add your wood.

Reactions: Mindifismoke
You can't go wrong with using smaller pieces of wood. If it's not hot enough, add another small piece. You'll have to add wood more frequently, but it will burn more easily, hot and clean. You can cheat and throw in some lump charcoal to maintain a hot coal bed. Soda can size or fist size chunks of wood are the way to go if you're having problems. Walmart even sells chunks that should be the right size if you don't want go through the trouble of cutting down your split wood.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
You can't go wrong with using smaller pieces of wood. If it's not hot enough, add another small piece. You'll have to add wood more frequently, but it will burn more easily, hot and clean. You can cheat and throw in some lump charcoal to maintain a hot coal bed. Soda can size or fist size chunks of wood are the way to go if you're having problems. Walmart even sells chunks that should be the right size if you don't want go through the trouble of cutting down your split wood.
Bags at the BBQ store are about $20 for 0.75~ cubic feet of oak wood little cheaper for apple and maple, so have been buying from wood suppliers for much cheaper and lower moisture content surprisingly, tested after i got the moisture meter. They come 16" so saw them in half to about 8" then split with an axe to about 2"x2". Seems to be the right size. Problem with the black film was my firebox was full of soot, my bad cleaned everything else but that.. Still struggling with it, any size i add 12" - 6" quarter split or very thin even chunks on a chimney of charcoal if i close the door with the vents wide open get white smoke, believe it might be a leaky cooking door. Moisture of wood i have is 24% max in the center of the split, but avoiding those pieces and using ones between 16-22%. Thank you and everyone for all the input i really appreciate it. Going to try figure the firebox door if its closed with the vents open making bad smoke by using small splits different amounts of charcoal hopefully will get it and make an update.

White smoke is moisture. Cut your wood down and let it dry for a few weeks/months. In the interim, those chunks from Walmart are really dry when you get them. I'd run lump charcoal and chunks for a while if I were you.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky