Poor man's burnt ends gone wrong.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Okay, these looked simple to do but I'll be darned I managed to screw them up. They were dry and hard. I was bummed so I tossed them before getting any pics of what they looked like cut open.
Started with a chuck roast, cubed then equal amounts of SPG. Mixed well in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and into the fridge.
About an hour later pulled them and mixed them up with some rubs then back in the fridge. While I got thr Gravity 800 going. Temps ranged from 225-250, spritzing with deep stock and water along the way until they probed at 165-175. Put the nuggets in a shallow foil pan with 3tbl spoon of but and a nice drizzle of raw honey then covered with foil. Back Into the gravity until they reached 200-205 they felt sold when probed. No jiggle or fat seemed present.
Ugh, will I ever get these right? What am I doing wrong?
I'm ready for some time away from the 800. 😕. 20220918_113430.jpg 20220918_135159.jpg 20220918_144254.jpg 20220918_171913.jpg

That one looks pretty lean throughout. Burnt ends need as much fat as possible to give you that rendered sticky goodness you are missing.

Choose this
1663793231041.png
at a minimum

Rather than this
1663793278440.png

You can make leaner beef work but it will never be the same imo.

I personally prefer to smoke mine intact (not cubed) then cube before I pan and sauce. I really messed up a batch a few months ago, and I happened to pre-cube them. Jerky nuggets :(

I don't take it to pull/probe tender before I cube it but there is no reason you can't. A burnt end is traditionally a brisket point that's been cooked to super tender then cubed. Marbling matters.

Last edited:
grind them up in a food processor with onion, pickles, garlic and add mayo or miracle whip, think they would have made a good sandwich meat at least?

I did chuck roast burnt ends awhile back that I wanted to try cubing first and I really liked the method.

Looking at your pictures, I think some more liquid in the pan when foiling would have helped you out some more.

Maybe toss them into a chili if you’re looking to repurpose them into something else?

I'm doing some burnt ends this Friday by smoking the chuck roast entact until an IT of 190ish is met. Then cube and mop with a BBQ sauce. Either back into the weber via a foil pan for another couple hours or I will do a quick broil in the oven for a few minutes. Always turns out pretty yummy.

So my suggestion to the OP is to try keeping the roast whole, cook then cube and mop.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thank you all very much for being you! Great information from everyone.
That's why I like this forum so much.
I really appreciate all the input and you inspire me to keep on trying.
Keep on smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky