Pizza on the Que

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
A big Thanks goes to SmokingAl for his tips. Lower temp, not so many toppings and talking me into giving it another go on the kettle. First I used this recipe and halved it. https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/homemade-pizza-dough-recipe/. Her biggest thing is leave the dough very sticky. I should only used a third like she said. My yeast was on steriods. More than doubled in 40 minutes than put in fridge and doubled agian. Crust was a bit thicker than would like but was very airy and light. The lower temp gave it a lot more smoke flavor. I closed all vents and used 3/4 chimmey. Got to say this was really good. Gonna make a great breakfast. Cold pizza my favorite food.

20200327_170609.jpg 20200327_170730.jpg 20200327_170743.jpg 20200327_172823.jpg 20200327_172845.jpg 20200327_173234.jpg 20200327_174214.jpg

Attachments

• 20200327_173128.jpg
    20200327_173128.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Looks good! I just finished eating one I did tonight. Good, but always looking for improvement. I've been cooking mine on full smoke. Now you have me thinking. What temp did you cook and bout how long? That crust browned way better than mine...

Man the underside of that crust looks absolutely perfect! Nice job! I'll have a few slices of that for sure!

I agree, the crust looks perfect! Could absolutely finish off a couple slices of that. Was that your dogs two slices? He looks like he was willing to help finish them off.

Good job
Ryan

Reactions: Blues1
Your pizza looks great.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I've personally have never seen a sticky pizza dough that seems more like a focaccia dough not that, that is a bad thing just different. That is a lot of yeast for the amount of flour, next batch you could cut it in half and still get plenty of rise out of your dough and your pie's won't be so heavy feeling in your stomach. That much yeast makes it much harder to digest which is why I switched to using just my sourdough starter instead of yeast and it makes the dough taste much better to me and the people I did a blind taste test with. I made three pies one with yeast only one with sourdough starter only and one with a combo of yeast and S.D. starter. The pie with the starter came in first with all 6 people and the pie with 50/50 starter & yeast came in second place by 4 or the 6 people and the yeast pie came in last. Don't get me wrong the yeast pie was still really good but was lacking the depth of the pies that has the sourdough starter. You should try it, starting and keeping a sourdough starter is super easy. I can send you some of my dehydrated starter if you are interested in starting your own. You basically feed it twice a day for a week to get it started than once it's started you can feed it heavily and put it in the refer for weeks at a time. When you want to use it you pull it out of the refer and start feeding it twice a day for 2-3 days before you want to use it. Then feed it heavily and back into the refer until you need it again. If you don't use it for a few weeks just make sure that you pull it out of the refer and give it a good feeding twice a month. My starter has been in five different countries and collected natural yeast so it's a good strong starter and super easy for beginners.

How did you get that crosshatch pattern on your bottom using a stone ?
Did you cook it on a pizza screen?

Last edited:
Looks good! I just finished eating one I did tonight. Good, but always looking for improvement. I've been cooking mine on full smoke. Now you have me thinking. What temp did you cook and bout how long? That crust browned way better than mine...

I think was about 600. Stayed just into the red on thermometer. I cooked for 15 minutes rotating every 5.

Those thermometers on the pizza Q's are pretty much useless/ way off, it's best to take the temp off the stone with a thermo that you have calibrated. My pizza Q will get up to 920* when I use two chimneys of Royal Oak lump and 3 plum size chunks of oak wood. My pies cook in just about 3 to 4 minutes, but they are about 14'' Naples style topped every sparingly.

I have not seen where kettle pizza's really any better than the oven until this one. I think Al right about the lower temps. Really has that smoked taste. Next will get crust thickness right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky