Pitboss xl 1100 ash issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rhino142

Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
hello all, I recently bought a pitboss pellet grill. I did my first long cook on it and about 8 hours in my grill lost heat. I had to pull the meat off and the whole grill apart to clean off a bunch of pellets and clean out the ash from the firebox. Has anyone else had this issue with long cooks and does anyone know how to deal with it? Also there was no ash when I started the cook

I have the 850. My smokes are usually between 3-5 hours. I clean after every 4-6 of these and have not noted any unusually large amount of ash.

I have the 850. My smokes are usually between 3-5 hours. I clean after every 4-6 of these and have not noted any unusually large amount of ash.
I think it may be because I left it on the smoke setting for too long. Thats really the only thing I can think of

That would be my guess as well. What P setting were you using?
Its at the factory setting, P4. I'm not sure but I think the smoke setting is only supposed to be used for a couple of hours before just setting it at 200-225.

I would bet that could be the cause, i have ran 8-9 hours on smoke before i kicked it up, pellet brands will vary on ashes , i have ran a lot of Lumber Jack and I have used pitboss when i first started out

I would bet that could be the cause, i have ran 8-9 hours on smoke before i kicked it up, pellet brands will vary on ashes , i have ran a lot of Lumber Jack and I have used pitboss when i first started out
Is there any way to be able to pull the ash out of the heating element while still cooking? Without having to take the whole thing apart?

Is there any way to be able to pull the ash out of the heating element while still cooking? Without having to take the whole thing apart?
I seriously doubt it. Using a vacuum you would probably suck up burning pellets.

how long did you run it in smoke mode? Sounds like more than 2 hours at a time? How low did the temp go?
I use 150deg as a min for temp during smoke mode. (Good for meat safety too.) If it's dropping below that, I go back to cook mode until I'm holding set point, then I feel free to go back to Smoke mode. Often I can't go over 30 minutes without dropping below 150.
With a remote thermometer, it's not that hard to keep an eye on temp. Unfortunately mine can't be set to alarm on undertemp, just overtemp. So you do have to pull it out and look at it occasionally.
YMMV but 2 hours sounds awfully long to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky