Pit boss and pellet tubes or trays

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Anyone using the tray or tube in a pit boss, where is the best location for them or does it really matter?

tube works much better in pellet grills I lay mine on the grate, if you want to use the tray you may have to put it under the metal heat shield on the bottom

Reactions: bdawg and Smkryng
tube works much better in pellet grills I lay mine on the grate, if you want to use the tray you may have to put it under the metal heat shield on the bottom
I’ve got the tube. I loaded it with pellets from the hopper and had a heck of a time getting it to stay lit. I laid it right over the fire pot. At first I was thinking maybe the location was giving me to much or not enough air flow. But after thinking about it I probably should have used pellets fresh from the bag I guess. Done a batch of chicken drums and couldn’t taste any smoke at all.

Yup, used the tube right on the grate today on my Louisiana/Pit Boss. Two pork butts and a packer brisket all at 250. Took about 9 hours and then foil pans for about two more hours. Ran the tube for then first nine hours refilling midway for double smoke ( burning middle and end of tube). Great bark and flavor tonight.

Reactions: Smkryng
Anyone using the tray or tube in a pit boss, where is the best location for them or does it really matter?

I use the Amaz-n Tube in mine.
I put it on the grate all the way to the far right end away from the hopper, because I don't want it near the temp probe.
I use these "Perfect Mix" pellets from Amazon. These are the best value for the dollar I've been able to find. -- $40 bucks for a 40 lb bag.

I've tried pure hickory and pure mesquite in mine, but the tube has a hard time holding the smoke with those pure pellets.

Another trick is to be sure to pack the pellets in. I fill it and knock it against a hard surface like I used to pack a cigarette before smoking it back when I smoked cigarettes. Doing that helps keep the pellets lit.
I also tried adding small amounts of charcoal to the tube to help keep it lit, and that seemed to help a little when I only had pure hardwood pellets on hand.

I have a propane torch that I use to light it. Nothing else will heat it up enough to stay lit.

Packing the pellets may have been the trick, can’t believe I never thought of that. Got an extra two handfuls in it. Still had to keep messing with it for about 30 minutes before I got it going good. Kinda strange because I’ve never had an issue with it in my MES.

Microwave the pellets for a couple of minutes then light and let burn 5 minutes, blow out and put anywhere except next to your probe, the smoke will circulate all over

ya shouldn't have to fill it all the way to get it to burn sometimes I fill mine to 1/2 sometimes just a 1/4 depending how long I what smoke and what i'm cooking. the hardest thing I run into is trying to put them out after my food is done. not sure if you have a vent cover, mine has one that I can close up or open, if so make sure it's opened up for more air flow. just trying to think of everything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky