Pellet VS Offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dr. Dobbins

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2018
I have 5 grills, and the patio is a bit crowded. One of my grills has to go. Here is what I have.

1) Pitboss Cabinet Smoker (NOT GOING ANYWHERE)
2) Kamado Joe Big Joe (NOT GOING ANYWHERE)
3) Montana Gas Grill with sear burner (I LOVE THIS GRILL FOR IT'S FINISHING MOVES STEAK IS AWESOME SO IT WON'T GO)
4) Cheap as nails PITBOSS Lexington (THIS IS ONE OF THE GRILLS THAT COULD GO)
5) Ok JOE Offset Smoker (THIS ONE IS THE LEAST USED)
Okay so it's down to the PITBOSS or the OK joe. The pit boss has been modified with one of my Charmaster temperature controllers, it is not stock and it goes from 0 to hero in an instant. The OK Joe is not used that much anymore tried it, and I have made some great food on it but it takes a lot of effort to cook on it, and a lot of prep work cutting down wood to chunks that it can burn efficiently. I do like cooking on both of them but the Ok Joe offers me a fuel source that I cannot replicate. It is my only stick burner, but the wife says one must go. I am torn between a grill that is a pain in the ass to use but when you do it right it makes some awesome food. The other grill is so versatile it can smoke then turn around in 2 minutes and sear steaks on it, just by punching a number into a web page. With that said the easier to use one does not do as good as number 1, 2, or 3. Should I ditch the offset, and lose my ability to vary rarely cook some real Texas BBQ. Or ditch the grill that can do everything all the other grills do better but is super easy to use. ARGGHHHHHHH, cannot decide so I will let the forum decide for me. I am not attached to either grill as, they do serve a purpose but the other grills do better most the time with their specialties. Let me know what you think below, this is a hard decision. Keep the stick burner or the cheap as nails pellet grill that I have made into an ok smoker that can sear with the best of them.

Reactions: kruizer and Blues1
I got rid of my stick burner, reasons being;
Properly seasoned post oak is impossible to find in Austin (EVERYONE is looking for it now),
plus it isTOO HOT here to be outdoors in summer plus a fleet of rats, mice, roaches and spiders moved into the stacked splits plus running a wood splitter and miter saw to make mini-splits is a pain.
Must confess nothing can match the meat coming off an off set so THAT part I miss.
I've also got a Kamado and a pellet spitter and last Christmas the wife gifted me a Mastebuilt gravity rig and it ROCKS!
Not quite the same flavor meat as a stick burner but no fire tending.
That thing holds rock sold temps all day so here I am, ice cold beer in hand, deep into the cushions of my La-Z-Boy, central air set on kill.
NO more chasing temps or wrestling firewood and the meat is ALMOST as good as stick burner can produce.

I would find a way to keep both. Which ever one you get rid of you will regret it later. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Hmm... "then Son, I think you have a condition!" :emoji_smile: Sell them both and clean up the patio. You've the capability to smoke and grill successfully with what's remaining.

I agree with Schlotz you will love the space and happy wife happy life plus you know down the road your going to buy another rig

ditch the stick burner. I am in the same boat and have a trailer pit stick burner I rarely use anymore, My pellet grill does just as good a job but the downside is it is not portable like the trailer is. Since I don't do cook-offs any longer my stick burner is going bye bye.

I’d ditch the offset, for previous mentioned infrequency and PITA factor. Maybe add an A-MAZ-N to the Lexington for smoke enhancement (though as you say, never quite to offset quality)?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky