Pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I too am looking at Pellet Grills. The best use of the Pellet Dump is not to change flavors as much as if you live with High Humidity, removing the pellets will save time clearing auger jams from disintegrating pellets. I would not purchase any NEW entries into the Pellet Grill market for at least a year and the Bugs have been discovered and worked out. Look at the Weber debacle...JJ
JJ, I went with the Pit Boss Austin XL for a couple of reasons. One is the ability to slide the fire grate opn and directly sear over the open flame, and second was the pellet dump feature. It has 1000 sq in of grill space which is nice, a couple meat probes, and several heat levels anlong with being able to control how much pellets feed when you are in smoke mode. I have only done 4 cooks on mine so far and all went well. When you finish your run just turn it off and the fan stays running until the unit cools down. On thing I did notice is that there is almost 100% combustion on the pellets, so very little ash residue as far as cleaning goes. I have always been a stick burner but I am sold on this one.

HT

Reactions: chef jimmyj
So I went with the Camp Chef Woodwind Wifi 24. I really wanted the 36 but they wont get it back in stock until at least late next month because of the Coronavirus. I think the 24 should be more than enough to do what I want though.

I too am looking at Pellet Grills. The best use of the Pellet Dump is not to change flavors as much as if you live with High Humidity, removing the pellets will save time clearing auger jams from disintegrating pellets. I would not purchase any NEW entries into the Pellet Grill market for at least a year and the Bugs have been discovered and worked out. Look at the Weber debacle...JJ
The Camp Chef Woodwind Wifi 24 or even regular without wifi has pellet dump, ash dump, and also does have the slide grate for smoke to grill.

As JJ stated, the pellet dump would be a handy thing if in humid climate. Late summer we do experience some pretty high humidity at times, so I will need t o probably have to shop vac out when not used for awhile.

I find the ash dump a great addition on the CampChef.
I always empty the auger (and of course the pellet box) after every cook and the dump feature allows me to hear when the last of the pellets exits the auger tube, which I can of course retrieve and return to the pellet bag.
For beef I prefer B+B post oak pellets, they really do smell like post oak when they burn.
For Pork I use hickory or a hickory based pellet blend.
For birds I like Traegar gourmet blend, it smells divine when burned.

I’ve heard their controller was awesome. Build quality is good too I hear.
I have a Smoke Daddy pellet pro 36k btu in my smokehouse to assist with temperature control. Ive only used about 6 or 8 times but it has performed with th e PID controller working well and holding temps +\- 5 deg.

I find the ash dump a great addition on the CampChef.
I always empty the auger (and of course the pellet box) after every cook and the dump feature allows me to hear when the last of the pellets exits the auger tube, which I can of course retrieve and return to the pellet bag.
For beef I prefer B+B post oak pellets, they really do smell like post oak when they burn.
For Pork I use hickory or a hickory based pellet blend.
For birds I like Traegar gourmet blend, it smells divine when burned.
I also have the Camp Chef woodwind 24. I will need to start doing what recommended of cleaning out the auger with humidity soon coming. My problem is the slide out to empty burn pot into the cup. After the first use, between heat and buildup of crust, it won't slide. I have to loosen the two screws outside of burnpot to make it work. So I've been using wet/dry vac each time. Have you had any issues with your slide out tray.
Thanks for tips on pellets, been using Camp chef mostly. Home depot website has free shipping and a lot of brands, fyi.

Well, it turns out my Walmart happens to still have one of those Cuisinart Woodcreek pellet grills marked down to 200 bucks. I'm sorely tempted just to get one of those things for such a tiny price. Anyone here ever use one?

Well, it turns out my Walmart happens to still have one of those Cuisinart Woodcreek pellet grills marked down to 200 bucks. I'm sorely tempted just to get one of those things for such a tiny price. Anyone here ever use one?
I had one for awhile. It worked fine. For 200$ I'd grab it. All the gimmick stuff it comes with can go in the trash when you get it unboxed. But as a smoker it worked good. I had to replace the hotrod once and then I gave it to my sister and they ended up having to replace the auger motor. Which was because they left it outside uncovered for a couple months and moisture got to the pellets and clogged the auger up. Their customer service has been great though. I got the hotrod and then the auger motor assembly for free. I think it's a 3 year warranty. They are still using it now with no issues and are extremely tuff on stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky