Pecans and Almonds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denappy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Colorado
Smoking some pecans and almonds this morning. Coated them with some butter, seasoned salt, sugar, chipotle and some onion powder. Smoking at 215f with apple wood
ajetyte2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! Those look YUMMY! I am just wondering, I have some Apple wood Chips, and some Mesquite Chunks, and a lot of Pecan wood for smoking. Has anyone tried Mesquite smoke on nuts?

We have Pecan trees here where I live, but I wouldn't think Pecan smoked Pecans would taste like much.
icon_cry.gif
 But was really wondering what the Almonds and Pecans would taste like Mesquite smoked? Like mix the Apple with like one or 2 very small chunks of the Mesquite?

I like the flavor on meat of Apple wood and Pecan, and Apple wood and Mesquite, where the mesquite isn't the predominant wood, but just a couple of small pieces, and the bulk is the Apple.

I'm new at this stuff, so any recommends will be most appreciated!

Personally I think mesquite is to strong, but, if you only smoke for a short time.....it may be a perfect flavor. I smoke mine with hickory and I am down to 1-1/2 hr smoke because it is to strong at longer times.

Good looking nuts (giggle.......What am I 5?)

I don't use mesquite much anymore.  I found the flavor to overwhelming for my tastes.  I smoke my pecans and almonds in mixes of cherry, apple, and pecan.  Light fruity flavors not to mask the delicate taste of the nuts.

Now on another note......try your idea out on a small batch and see what you think.  Report back because we love to see experiments and the results.  Oh and thanks for reminding me I need to do another batch of pecans and almonds.....I'm almost out
drool.gif

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky