Pasteurization Times and Temperatures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Non intact meats can be interpreted as patties, sausage, loaves.... Maybe... I'm not sure...
This chart is for a 5.0 log reduction... I prefer to take any meats to a 7.0 log reduction, or more.... It only takes more time...
I would add at least 20% more time to be on the safe side...

I like my sausage, hot dogs, Kielbasa etc. pasteurized at 138 deg. F for an hour or so.... especially store bought...
There are so many food safety violations happening around the world... Call me paranoid, I don't care... My healthis my primary concern....
FWIW, those meat packages the say, "Ready to Eat".... Maybe for some folks, not me... At my age I realize my immune system is not that of a teenager and any illness can be life threatening....
I post a lot of articles under the "FOOD SAFETY" heading... The number of food processing plants that have managers cutting corners to save $0.01 per pound of product is amazing AND they are not all caught... When you calculate the product produced, $0.01/pound is
a boxcar of money....

pasteurization non intacttable 005.jpg

Let me explain the "NON INTACT MEAT" Chops, steaks and roasts...... What I think it means...

When you grind meats for sausage etc., You are grinding up Chops, Steaks and Roasts or trimmings from those cuts.... and make some awesome sausage....

That title bewildered me for some time until I think I finally got it figured out...

Last edited:
Hey davemoak, I have a question regarding log reduction tables. I'm wondering if you take humidity in consideration when using this chart?
Thanks,

Yes. The tables used are usually actually part of thr FSIS Appendix A to their meat preparation guide. The first part, before the tables, tells you required humidity and caveats, and has cooking flowcharts. Once you figure out how you will cook it, then the tables jist tell you how long. They are not actually stand alone info, you have to use them with the cooking guidance. However one of the caveats is that sausage inside of casing both natural and cellulose are both qualified as humid environment. I neglected to say the guide basically requires high humidity cooking. There's also caveats for large size meat of single muscle, I think it's 10 lb but can't remember for sure. Otherwise you need to use a steam injected or sealed oven or achieve a certain humidity level. But if you just search for appendix a US FDA space fsis, you will find it and it's pretty easy reading
Hey davemoak, I have a question regarding log reduction tables. I'm wondering if you take humidity in consideration when using this chart?
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes. The tables used are usually actually part of thr FSIS Appendix A to their meat preparation guide. The first part, before the tables, tells you required humidity and caveats, and has cooking flowcharts. Once you figure out how you will cook it, then the tables jist tell you how long. They are not actually stand alone info, you have to use them with the cooking guidance. However one of the caveats is that sausage inside of casing both natural and cellulose are both qualified as humid environment. I neglected to say the guide basically requires high humidity cooking. There's also caveats for large size meat of single muscle, I think it's 10 lb but can't remember for sure. Otherwise you need to use a steam injected or sealed oven or achieve a certain humidity level. But if you just search for appendix a US FDA space fsis, you will find it and it's pretty easy reading.
Thanks Dave, I did read the FSIS guidelines and studied the flow chart but overlooked page 31. As you mentioned, under (situations when humidity is not needed) it states, in so many words, Cooking products in a casing that hold moisture do not need to be humidified. There are other food exemptions as well.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

Reactions: Dave in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky