PaPaGrizz is still Alive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papagrizz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Howdy Guys and Gals, sorry have not posted in a long time.

Long story short, my Masterbuilt Vertical Smoker is getting too FUBAR to repair so with getting older and I hope wiser, I'm have been thinking about a Pellet Pooper. Although I loved the idea of babysitting the vertical and the UDS in the wee hours of the morning with my "Breakfast Beer" (that's beer with a dash of maple syrup in it) my current physical state says NO.

So set it and forget it seems like the way to go.

Last year I started my research looking for an afforded pellet smoker. I was thinking something on the small side about $300-$600 range, so if I didn't like it, Moma Bear would not throw my butt out.

I finally thought the Rec Tec Mini was the one for me.:) So I was going to buy one for my Christmas present, only to find out they were discontinued! Disappointed set in and also the question, WHY? Why would a product that was selling so great be taken off the market?

Anywho, sorry for the rant. But I put my big panties back on and started the research again.

I am looking seriously at the GMG Davey Crocket on the low end of the budget and the Camp Chef Woodwind at the high end.

Davey Crocket being not so expensive but should work for the two of us.
Woodwind, easy to clean and more room for when all the kids come to munch on my smoky magic.

Anyhow, My Brothers and Sisters of the Smoke, I am seeking words of wisdom and advise.

Missed you all

They are coming out with a new model to replace the RecTec Mini called the Trailblazer. Should be out in the next week or so.
Thanks ross77. I looked at the website on 02/01 when the came out. I like the way they have the stainless interior cooking area, but not sure if it is worth the extra dollars.

Strongly leaning towards the Camp Chef Woodwind, I think that will give me the best bang for my buck.
Thanks for the reply,
PaPaGrizz

Isn’t the Trailblazer $100 cheaper than the Woodwind?

Yes, it is ross but the cooking area in the woodwind is about 570 sq in. Trailblazer 340 sq in Cooking area.
Plus with the Woodwind, you get extras, Bottom Shelf, Additional Cooking Rack, patio cover and bonus pellets.
As far as wifi goes, I have two Mavericks and a Thermo pen.

Thanks

I see. You do get a bottom shelf with both. The cooking area in the Trailblazer is 511 if you add a 2nd shelf.

Once you add a cover and 2nd shelf the prices are pretty close in price.

The Woodwind appears to have a 3 year warranty?

Check out the PelletFan forum. They have a dedicated Camp Chef section. There is a detailed thread with unboxing and testing. Might be worth your time.

I'd take a good look at the new Rec Tec 590. But, it is tough to Say no to the woodwind with that searing burner. Heck I've thought about buying the burner myself to attach to another pellet cooker. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky