Opinions- Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pacedawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Orlando, FL area
Hello all-

Just got into smoking and am working my way through the different meats. I did Short-ribs two weeks ago and a Boston Butt yesterday. I was thinking about getting into a steak next weekend. I like a nice steak with some fat to it. I was just wondering from the veterans out there, what you think is the best cut of steak to smoke and how you prepare it.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, beef steaks such as filet, ribeye, T-Bones, etc are made for a fast sear over high heat. I add smoke wood to the fire but it's really grilling vs smoking.

Pork steak on the other hand does pretty good over a lower slower cook. After all, pork steak is just a pork butt sliced up.

I'm with SeenRed - I have been buying ribeye's at Sam's Club, nice ones, 4 to a pack for about $26. Each is big enough for NumberOneWife and I to split, so for about $6.50 we can both have steak. 

I usually brush on a little olive oil, followed by Tatonka Dust. I smoke them an hour or so, or until internal temperature gets to about 120-125, then onto a hot grill for about 2 minutes per side. I swear the steaks actually swell up and get bigger in the smoker. Absolutely fantastic - and this method has completely spoiled my wife (and me as well). They just melt in your mouth. Durn it, wish I had not responded to this post late in the day when I was already hungry .... 

Top 3 Steaks IMHO:

#1   Ribeye

#2   Ribeye

#3   Ribeye.

I prefer low smoking to about 115*-120* IT, and then finishing it to Med-Rare on the grill.

However the absolute best way to do Ribeyes would be to buy a standing Rib Roast, which is just a number of Ribeyes that weren't cut apart. My favorite method for that is below:

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110433/prime-rib-new-best-ever

Bear

I'm with Bear on this one.  Individual ribeyes or a Rib roast.

'

If I'm grilling, my top pick would be a nice thick NY Strip.  Don't care what anyone else says, there is nothing better  :)

That said, Strips just don't taste as good when they are roasted.   I have no idea why this is the case, but it is what it is.

Now, a nice Rib Roast slow smoked with Hickory to a nice medium rare  ?  Pure heaven.

Definitely not late to the party. . . I am going to the store tonight! Either way, I plan on trying each opnion whether it be this weekend or next.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky