On a Wing and a Prayer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks!
Unfortunately nothing special or homemade, both the Habanero and Ghost Pepper were Melinda's brand, the Honey BBQ and Sweet Teriyaki were both Sweet Baby Ray's.
The Honey BBQ had honey added to it at about 4T per cup of sauce

Ok, thanks John... I thought I seen the bleu cheese dressing was homemade. Thanks for the reply back! Hope you and yours are doing well!

Ok, thanks John... I thought I seen the bleu cheese dressing was homemade. Thanks for the reply back! Hope you and yours are doing well!
Oops, yes, the Bleu Cheese was, my brain got stuck on the sauces.

I periodically buy a big wedge of Gorganzola at Costco, I eat it with crackers and make dressing.

Homemade Bleu Cheese
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c sour cream
1 T milk
1 T white wine vinegar (or more to taste)
1/4 t Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t garlic powder
As much or as little crumbled blue cheese as you please

Nine (9) Pounds of Hot Wangs

Different method this time, used a Chinese restraunt style batter instead of breading.
Yields a much lighter coating with plenty of crunch, family seems to prefer this style.

Heat oil to 375°

Batter
2c cornstarch
1c flour
3T seasoned salt
2T baking powder
1.25T each black pepper, paprika, cayenne, granulated garlic and onion
2.75c water

Mix dry ingredients, whisk in water till smooth.
Makes enough to batter 8-10lbs of wings.

Dredge wings in cornstarch.
Batter wings in batches, allow excess to drip off.
Fry wings in batches 8-10 minutes, 185° IT on the bone.
Toss wings in your favorite sauces.

View attachment 450301

View attachment 450302

View attachment 450303

View attachment 450304

View attachment 450305

View attachment 450306

View attachment 450307

Honey BBQ and Teriyaki

View attachment 450308

Ghost Pepper

View attachment 450309

Served with tater tots, salad, cucumber, celery and homemade super chunky Bleu Cheese dressing.
Trying these today. So the dredge in Corn starch is seperate , then mix the batter of flour etc, and NO cornstarch in the wet batter? Correct? Since I do not have a deep fryer, I'm using a pretty deep frying pan, I figure to put 1.5-2 inches of oil, use my instant read thermopen to make sure it is 375', and cook small batches at a time. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Nine (9) Pounds of Hot Wangs

Different method this time, used a Chinese restraunt style batter instead of breading.
Yields a much lighter coating with plenty of crunch, family seems to prefer this style.

Heat oil to 375°

Batter
2c cornstarch
1c flour
3T seasoned salt
2T baking powder
1.25T each black pepper, paprika, cayenne, granulated garlic and onion
2.75c water

Mix dry ingredients, whisk in water till smooth.
Makes enough to batter 8-10lbs of wings.

Dredge wings in cornstarch.
Batter wings in batches, allow excess to drip off.
Fry wings in batches 8-10 minutes, 185° IT on the bone.
Toss wings in your favorite sauces.

View attachment 450301

View attachment 450302

View attachment 450303

View attachment 450304

View attachment 450305

View attachment 450306

View attachment 450307

Honey BBQ and Teriyaki

View attachment 450308

Ghost Pepper

View attachment 450309

Served with tater tots, salad, cucumber, celery and homemade super chunky Bleu Cheese dressing.
I figured it out, made these today and they turned out great! I've never used corn starch before, and I'm amazed how crunchy they turned out. Thank you again for this great recipe.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky