Featured Oklahoma Joe's Highland Offset Charcoal Smoker Tweekout.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinspage

Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
I used two fans, a stack extension and a charcoal basket to tweak out my Joe.

1617182994183.png
1617185665739.png
1617185783375.png
P1010341 (Custom).JPG

The top fan works great. It makes the Joe into a convection smoker.
Much less or no turning necessary to get even cook.
P1010355 (Custom).JPG

When the fan is on it lowers measured grill temps as it mixes and averages all air in the smoker.
The only temp difference is the radiated IR heat from the charcoal basket.

1617184307801.png

I use a stainless steel charcoal basket set inside the main body of the grill and two grates between it and the end of the grill.

1617183197722.png
1617184361683.png

I built a temperature controlled fan from a couple parts off Amazon, an industrial temperature control module and an ac fan.
I used nano tape to attach controller to fan and UV cure epoxy to insulate the 120v AC connections. Bread and zip ties to strain relieve AC and temp cables.
I drilled and tapped a 1/4" 20 hole for the temp probe on the back of the grill just above the top of the meat level.

1617183335892.png

The controlled fan on the intake works great to keep the temp steady. Truly a set and forget process now. In the past I had to constantly mess with dampers and temp was changing wildly. Having the charcoal in the cooking chamber seems way more efficient on fuel usage opposed to using the firebox. Radiant heat from direct IR raises the temp on the fuel side of the offset but the top fan does a good job of equalizing chamber temp.

P1010349 (Custom).JPG

I put a welding blanket over my Joe to increase efficiency. I cook year round so the blanket is necessary on the zero degree days. I use it in the summer too. I have read a closed off output damper can cause the smoke to deposit on instead of move through the cooked item. I use natural Cowboy brand charcoal and make sure it is mostly ashed over before starting the cook. I only leave the top damper open 1-5% and add small amounts of mesquite, apple or cherry wood to smoke. I have not had an issue with smoke depositing and I use way less charcoal. One basket can last for an entire 12hr cook. I often go to 205F internal temp on meat.

1617185384452.png

I use a long range four probe Wi-Fi temp gauge. It shows four temperatures anywhere in the world on unlimited devices.
I usually have a tablet on the fridge, my phone and Bluestacks PC Android emulator set up with the app to monitor temps.
P1010380 (Custom).JPG

Happy Grilling!! ~Kevin www.kevinspage.com.

Last edited:
Very simple and effective modifications. Wonder if reducing the size of the fire basket to say maybe 1/2 or 1/3 width and stack fuel to your current depth would be beneficial? Since you have the circulation fans, you might be able to reduce your fuel load while maintaining temp and increase your grill surface footprint as well. 🍻

John

Reactions: kevinspage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky