Now that I've got the MES 40" Gen 1 On Order.... What else do I need?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mgj2727

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Hey fellow smoking posters - - 

I ordered the MES 40" first generation electric smoker (the one with the digital on top).

I'm sure I'll have it in the next week.  So my next question, is what accessories would you recommend that I should buy to go along with my new toy?

Here's what I'm planning to smoke (initially)...

- Salmon

- Chicken

- Cheeses

- Ribs

What wood chips would folks recommend?

Should I get the Amzn smoke tube or racks?

Should I get a different temp gauge?  Would anyone recommend one that works with an iphone?

Your thoughts are all greatly appreciated!

Congrats on the new smoker.  I took my 2nd generation MES 40 back to SAM's club after having problems with it and talking to Masterbuilt and found a 1st gen at a local Gander Mountain about 2 months ago.  You won't be disappointed.

I would look into either a AMNPS or a MES cold smoker for doing the cheese.  I have one of both both usually use the AMNPS more.  It may not be as easy to start but it seems to create better smoke and is also safer.  My cold smoker has had a problem with burning the chips in the loader a couple of times.  

I also bought a set of bradley smoker trays for cheese.  That way you can put the cheese on the bradley trays and be able to get them off the smoker with out too much trouble.  

I also have a maverick 732 and bought a coupe of extra longer probes from Todd.  I have cooled a few things on the 2nd generation and the temp difference was about 25 degrees but with the 1st gen it is closer to 10 degrees.

hope this helps

Sodak

Do I need a different smoker, than the MES 40, to do cold smoking?

Do I need a different smoker, than the MES 40, to do cold smoking?
No, you do not.  Cold smoking with the mes is great because there is plenty of room, but you do need a separate smoke generator like Todds AMAZN dust or pellet tray.  The mailbox mod for the MES with the AMAZN is great for cold smokes or you can do with the AMAZN right in the chamber.  Congrats on the GEN 1.  Design, flow, and reliability are so much better than the 2.  Have no idea why they changed the setup unless maybe they saved $$$ in production.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "mailbox mod for the MES"?  I don't understand what you mean by that.  I will order the AMAZN dust/pellet tray.  Is there a size that is better, since I believe they offer two sizes? (or should I order the tube)?

What do you mean by "mailbox mod for the MES"?  I don't understand what you mean by that.  I will order the AMAZN dust/pellet tray.  Is there a size that is better, since I believe they offer two sizes? (or should I order the tube)?
Mailbox mod here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...0-new-pictures-for-attaching-elbow-to-mailbox

I use the AMAZEN Pellet smoker, works great.

Don't forget the Maverick ET732 - Must have for our business...
grilling_smilie.gif

Have fun!

I started to look at the Maverick, but I'm debating whether I should go for one that I can use with my iPhone.

In particular, I see that iGrill is coming out with a new iGrill mini that is $39.99, but you'd need two of them.  One probe for the meat, another for the interior... And I think that the probe for the interior would need to be a different one, requiring a ambient probe..... So... as I think about it RIGHT now.  That equals $100.  Maybe the Maverick is the better deal....

I'm going to look this morning (and tomorrow) to see if there are any cyber deals.

I vote for the AMNPS - pellets.  Order pellets from Todd, too.  They are 100% hickory, apple, cherry, etc..  no fillers like other hard woods.

I love my Maverick ET 732, but I heard there's a new model out that has 2 probes than can double for food/BBQ temps.  

"I vote for the AMNPS - pellets.  Order pellets from Todd, too.  They are 100% hickory, apple, cherry, etc..  no fillers like other hard woods"

IMHO ........... the pellet smoker is the most important part of the system . I have a MES 40 and the pellet smoker made the whole system really work with half the trouble 

Where are you putting the pellet box in the smoker to keep the pellets dry?

Last edited:
I like pecan chips the best personally with hickory a close second. Use them for poultry, pork and venison with equal preference.  Some advocate apple for poultry but I prefer the pecan or hickory myself.  Also used manzaneta and it was very good. I have not smoked fish so another type might be a better choice for that. Enjoy your new smoker.  They are awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky