No bark on pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kitchenbro

Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
So i've never had this happen before (said many a guy lol) but i have a small pork shoulder in my kamado and i went to wrap it up, and there was zero bark, like zero and i've never had that happen. I've been smoking it consistently for between 230-250 and once it got to 260 ish i opened up the smoker and was quite surprised. It was covered in rub so that wasn't the issue and i wasn't spritzing it either. Any thoughts on this? I should have taken a pic but its back in the smoker. Thanks.

it literally just occured to me while i was pulling it apart, i used an injection. so i got it to 200 degrees and it was a pretty small roast that took about 5 hours but the bone did not come out easily like it normally would. is it possible the injection somehow screwed it up because this is my first time using one.

How small is it and how long was it cooking for?
here is the finished product, like i mentioned in a previous post the only thing i did differently was use an injection which i've never done so i'm wondering if that came out during the cook and basically blocked the bark from forming. It was a rather small shoulder

Attachments

• porkshoulder.jpg
    porkshoulder.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 51
here is the finished product, like i mentioned in a previous post the only thing i did differently was use an injection which i've never done so i'm wondering if that came out during the cook and basically blocked the bark from forming. It was a rather small shoulder
Shouldn't have been the injection. This is one I did some years back which was about the same size and was injected. Mine was boneless though although that should not make a difference either.
IMG_0365.jpg

What thermometer are you using? Did you have it wrapped? Did the bone slid out easliy? Also did you use a binder for the run like mustard?

What thermometer are you using? Did you have it wrapped? Did the bone slid out easliy? Also did you use a binder for the run like mustard?
thermowork thermometer and i wrapped it at the end which is when i noticed no bark at all and no, no binder at all just a dry rub

That’s strange. Try using mustard as a binder. Helps hold the rub on. That’s the only thing I can think of

Can you please explain me how mustard can help? Thanks

The mustard just acts as a binder. You just squeeze (a little) and rub it and spread on the meat. It just helps the rub stick. You don’t taste the mustard or anything so don’t be alarmed if you don’t like mustard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky