Nitrites Convert To Nitrates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
This came from our own Smitty McG at another forum. I found it very interesting and wanted to share with the rest of you sausage heads.
I found it on page two of this article;
http://www.hlf-law.co.uk/flashsite/Departments/Regulatory/Food/No in Meat Guidance.pdf

General structure of the legislation

Other than certain traditional products, the legislation limits the use of potassium and
sodium nitrite in meat products to a maximum amount added of 150 mg/kg, and in
sterilised meat products (Fo > 3), to 100 mg/kg. The use of potassium and sodium
nitrate is permitted only in non-heat-treated meat products, to a maximum amount
added of 150 mg/kg, although nitrates may be present in some heat treated meat
products resulting from natural conversion of nitrites to nitrates in a low-acid
environment. The limits for both nitrites and nitrates relate to the maximum amount
that may be added during the manufacture of the product i.e. ingoing limits.

Interesting read. Thanks for it Dan and Joel

Joel, Dan......  I had to read more today, thanks for helping to keep the "old" brain functioning....    Interesting on that conversion....  guess that is why ECA etc. is added to sausage... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky