newby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbird

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Michigan
IM NEW TO SMOKING AND JUST BOUGHT A OFF-SET SMOKER AND WAS WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO SMOKE FOR MY FIRST TIME??

Hi jbird! Welcome to SMF. I would recommend a pork butt. They are very forgiving and who doesn't like a good pulled pork sandwich! I'm sure some of the other more "seasoned" members will chime in. Just an FYI - typing in all caps is the equivalent of yelling.
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
pork Butt is a good choice , or some chicken would be good also

main thing no mater what you try is to be patient! keep your temp steady and

sit back and  enjoy! your not grilling so you need to take your time

and use thermometer to tell you when your done

My favored things for hot smoking are are pork butt, pork spareribs, turkey breasts (or whole if you like dark meat), and pork loin.  All of them should be done low and slow, 200F to 250F.

pork butt or spare ribs are both good - also will give you a chance to try Jeff's rub, or one or two of your own.  Spares are nice to start with since you don't have to be worried about internal temperature, just use the time and foiling method you will find all over SMF!   Are you familiar with using rubs and brines?  You've come to the right place, and CONGRATS (I shout, Squirrel) on your offset!  let the fun and food begin!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky