Newbie With Older Brinkmann

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That sounds like it totally rocks HawgHeaven! So, you don't use a rub along with the mustard? Just regular yellow mustard that comes in the bottle? Is it hard to keep the temperature constant at 230? How does one do this? I also heard to spritz with some apple juice every hour? Yeah, or no?

I'd save the apple juice for spraying on the meat and just use water in the water pan. I found lump at Lowes. I think regualr charcoal is a little easier to control at first. Lump wants to burn hot and make fire.

I found some Royal Oak wood charcoal at Menards after work tonight! Not the brickets stuff. I'm so "stoked"! Also picked up some hickory wood chunks. Hey, what about an apple juice/Jack Daniel's spritzer? Would that be cool? So, soak the wood chunks and light the lump coal in a chimney. After they are glowing, place a couple wood chunks on top and allow to smolder? Do I make a little ring with the coals and place wood in the middle?

I use a rub plus the mustard. Yes, just plain ol' French's mustard works great. I forgot to mention, when your done slathering, wrap it in cellophane before installing it in the fridge...

You can spritz with apple juice, or any kind of mop you like. It is especially helpful when you foil the meat to add a good spritz before you seal it up.

As far as keeping the temp constant, I am not familiar with your smoker, so I won't be much help here. My Char-Griller was a PITA to keep constant, so I've modified it to help that situation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky