Newbie smoker here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calipits

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Hello all im looking for some advice on my new smoker. I had been contemplating a DIY build of a smoker out of a metal filing cabinet, but I was at Walmart grabbing some after christmas discount items, and I came across this Char- Griller Pro Deluxe XL Smoker and Side Fire Box setup and paid only $90. So Im in it now head first, and Im fairly certain there are some modifications that I could do to this to get the best air/flow and heat transfer. But as I said Im new to this so I thought Id just ask so as to get headed in the right direction from the start.

Here is the calculations for my setup:

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

If im reading this correctly then I will need to add height to my chimmney stack, and increase the firebox to chamber opening. And if im not mistaken it says my firebox is undersized. These are things that I can do myself, as I do have a plasma cutter and can weld easily the modifications needed. I know this is cookie cutter and cant expect the best experience, but was hoping for a decent smoker out of this setup.

Would it be necessary to seal up this smoker while assembling it? using the high temp tape type sealer or silicone in a tube? On all bolt holes and any place where smoke may escape beside the chimney?

Thanks in Advance any help is appreciated.

char-griller-portable-charcoal-grill-e22424-64_1000.jpg
eb186e36-0a07-4678-8234-aa87df59f122_1.e8d8132630c46132efe67d2ec4c4cad3.jpeg

Welcome to the board! You should have plenty of fun with that. I suggest you run it once with nothing in it just to get a sense of how it will behave. As for first cooks, many of us suggest chicken parts because they are inexpensive if you make mistakes and tasty if you hit it right.

Use the Search here to look up that model of smoker and see how people use them.

Welcome! Agree with bluewhisper about running it to see how it works. Before you get all mod heavy, get a couple cooks under your belt to see what’s really necessary.

Thanks guys. I'm getting it setup tonight and going to attempt something easy tomorrow.

I'll let u know how it goes.

I found this video and I will be adding the baffle, the chimney to grate, and sealing the door.

So I am hoping that i turn this Cheap Smoker into an awesome cooker for under 100$

Char- Grill Upgrades

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky