Newbie from NE WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now those are some very different pigs and kind of fuzzy, lol

Love the Picnic Bacon,
8 slices of that would fill up a big sub bun with tomatoes and lettuce
A Mangalitsa BLT Sub, i'm drooling just thinking about it

Just looked and found a farm in the valley here in Nova Scotia that says they have registered ones and Saanen Goats. I will have to look int them.

David

Reactions: Mangalitsa Queen
Love the Picnic Bacon,
8 slices of that would fill up a big sub bun with tomatoes and lettuce
A Mangalitsa BLT Sub, i'm drooling just thinking about it

Just looked and found a farm in the valley here in Nova Scotia that says they have registered ones and Saanen Goats. I will have to look int them.

I have never even thought about putting the picnic bacon on a BLT. What a great idea! That does sound mighty tasty.

All I have to say about other farms that say they're registered, is "show me the papers". We were burned on our very first pigs because they weren't registered but the farm we bought them from said they were pure. Now that we have a better understanding of the breed, we are positive that they were not, in fact purebred. One of the moms had a litter that when grown looked like they were crossed with wild boar. Which also made us realize that their whole breeding program was likely compromised. As the mother also had straight, coarse hair.
323272397_1120519368611903_4098220115534837384_n.jpeg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Old world pig. Great lard for baking. How much longer does it take to raise to butcher size?

It takes anywhere from 12-15 months to reach butcher size. However you can run them out to 24-36 months and you'll have something even more phenomenal. Our first sows will be processed around 2.5, and I cannot wait to try them!

farms that say they're registered, is "show me the papers"
First off, that is a fantastic view like Ryan said Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . That would never get old.
What a pretty picture and property

And when you start shipping the sandwiches , I will take 2 of the large BLT's , lol :emoji_yum:

I was reading the web of the farm I mentioned . And they say their pigs are reg. with the USA Purebred Registry. So I hope they are .

David

I was reading the web of the farm I mentioned . And they say their pigs are reg. with the USA Purebred Registry. So I hope they are .

The registry is called MBOAR - Mangalitsa Breed Organization And Registry. There is no other registry. So if they say they're registered with them, they should be able to provide certification that even their meat pigs are purebred. When a litter is born, is is registered with MBOAR and then the owner will be issued a certificate saying the meat is pure.

Their pigs definitely look purebred from the photos I saw though. :)

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky