Newbie from Md. - and I sure could use help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bensb34

Original poster
May 1, 2022
Maryland
Hi all, newbie from Md. here - and sorry for stupid questions but I don’t really have any idea what I am doing and sure could use some advice.

Here’s the deal - I bought a charcoal pig cooker from a neighbor, it’s in good shape on a trailer, but there are some things I would like top fix. Pictures below if I can figure out how to post them. 3’ x 5’ cooking surface.

Right now, it is a basic barrel cooker with fireplace brick on the bottom, then a charcoal grate (just 1/4 sheet with holes), then a cooking grate at the top of the bottom half of the barrel. On one end, there is a charcoal clean out/put in door with an adjustable vent. Top is really heavy to open (has two springs on the back).

I have trouble keeping my kettle grill at temp., but I want to learn how to do this right - but before that was wondering about some changes to the grill -

1. Want to put in a new charcoal pan - thinking about tack welding a few supports on the sides above the fire bricks and then putting in another pan. Was thinking sheet just bent up on the edges a couple of inches.

2. Also, looking at what people have posted on here, thought about putting in a pipe burner - but didn’t know what kind of temp it would get up to. If that was an option, wondered about having a divided charcoal pan (lengthwise) offset towards the front of the grill with one long pipe burner on the front side. Is it crazy to consider putting a pipe burner below the charcoal pan - running lengthwise between the fireplace brick and pan?

Thanks all!!

Ben

Attachments

• 39262BA4-BD19-4B2B-BB99-17187745D2D8.jpeg
    39262BA4-BD19-4B2B-BB99-17187745D2D8.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 0EA4CEAE-2AAB-4791-8334-E5242FC3C458.jpeg
    0EA4CEAE-2AAB-4791-8334-E5242FC3C458.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 24
  • E3BF0F16-1505-4EB7-8C57-FFD16EE4D09F.jpeg
    E3BF0F16-1505-4EB7-8C57-FFD16EE4D09F.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 8991699C-BADD-4450-9A46-A8AAC36B4395.jpeg
    8991699C-BADD-4450-9A46-A8AAC36B4395.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to SMF. I have no help on the smoker questions, but I am sure others will.

Reactions: bensb34
That thing is huge! I’m not sure either on your mods because I’ve never seen one that big without a fire box, but I can attest to the bigger the smoker is the easier temp regulation will be for you. I’m jealous, that looks out of my price range by a good bit.

Welcome.
They way these pig cookers are normally used is you spread your coals around the outside of the tray. More coals towards the hams and front legs by the butts and picnic. Those are your thickest areas of meat.

So a couple of inches bent upwards will not be tall enough on the pan. I would measure the height of them now and stay the same or maybe a little taller . Don’t go shorter. I would weld braces front to back so the tray has a base to rest on.

I wouldn’t run a gas tube myself. You’ll get more flavor out of coals. We use a mixture of kingsford, hickory or Oak and Apple. Keep a good coal bed going and you’ll love this cooker. You’ll need a coal rake as long as the cooker is to move your heat around as needed. Very handy to have.

Reactions: nom00
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky