New to the world of Smokin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bennybell

Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I'm relatively new to smoking. I've tried a few things with mixed results. Here's my track record:

- Pork Shoulder - came out good, but had to finish it in the oven
- Baby Back Ribs - the meat was tough
- Pit Beef - the one thing I've gotten perfect
- Brisket - came out good but the meat was a bit tough

I have a Char-Griller Pro with Side Fire Box. I initially was smoking without the side fire box. But I went to a bbq competition in Bel Air, MD, and one of the competitors told me that the side fire box was a must have. So, I recently got that, and it hasn't really helped.

I'm hoping I can pick up some good tips off this forum. Particularly ones that are focused on a grill like mine. THANKS!!!

Benny, Nice to have you with us here at SMF. Check out this LINK for modifications made to a Charbroiler Smoker.

If you could tell us at what temps and how long you're smoking your food, we could give you better suggestions that will help you.

If you haven't done so, take a moment and sign up for Tulsa Jeff's 5-day eCourse. Lot of good info in there that every Pit Boss should know.

Enjoy!

Welcome Benny. Yup, the baffle is the most important mod here. It (and the others as well) made a huge difference in my smokes. Better temp control and consistent, even cooking. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm pretty sure my temp gage is busted, and I'm cooking hotter than I should be. I just bought a digital thermometer, so this should help. I also get some sheet metal to extend the stack. I was told that using fire bricks would help keep the temperature even throughout as well. I have yet to purchase those.

Do you have anymore detail on the "baffle?" I'd like to look into this as well.

Thanks again for being so helpful. I can taste those moist baby back ribs already!

Look up above at Dutch's post. He has inserted a link to a post of mine. Find the baffle in the pictures. I took a piece of ungalvanized sheet metal (12x12) and bent about two inches of one side about at a 45* angle. I removed the two screws at the top of where my firebox is connected to the cooking chamber. I put the baffle in the chamber the way I was going to install it (bent side over the fire box opening) and marked on the sheet metal where the two screws/nuts that I just removed would be, I drilled holes there in the sheet metal. I put the baffle back in the cook chamber, above the fire box hole, and reattached the screws/nuts. The point of this thing is to redirect the heat coming out of the fire box into the center of the cook chamber to help with even cooking and consistent temp in that chamber; in the case that you have it fully loaded, things near the fire box won't burn from the intense, direct heat coming out of it before things opposite the fire box even start cooking. If you need more help, let me know. Look at the baffle pic in Dutch's post, and think about for a minute, it'll make sense...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky