new smoker build 1st attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jester777

Original poster
May 27, 2018
so we decided to take a swing at building a smoker after seeing the prices of much smaller ones. we did some digging around on the internet and ended up here. lots of info and great people. we wanted a smoker big enough to be able to feed a party and we have a large family. i picked up some left over materials from work and started our build with a photo to reference and some trial and error. so here is the progress from yesterday.

started off by digging the foundation for the block.

IMG_1413.JPG

foundation dug!

IMG_1415.JPG

concrete poured and first row of block in place.

IMG_1417.JPG

onto the second row. left one half block out to install chimney pipe for my future fire box. aka an old stainless steel grill.

IMG_1418.JPG

third course of block installed and chimney pipe also installed. i used 4 anchor bolts to bolt the wood top to the block.

IMG_1419.JPG

2x6 installed and time to start framing.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

sides roughed in. now to start framing the door and preparing for the walls to go up.
i chose to use t-111 for the sides and door.

IMG_1411.JPG

not bad progress for one day. now onto trying to figure out how to use the grill for the fire box. and to decide on propane or wood. only thing I am worried about with propane is the amount i will use on each smoke. so any input would be greatly appreciated. as for vents I am thinking of using interior central air vents one at he bottom and two at the top with screen behind to keep all the bugs out. also trying to decide on if i should cover the chimney pipe up with dirt to help insulate it. any thought everyone? fire away!

this is the holland grill i want to convert to my firebox. i know ill have to cut a hole in the side and cover up the 2 stacks on the top but im trying to figure out if i should use the gas burners inside for heat through the chimney pipe and just do an a-maze-n smoke box on the inside or if i should just go with wood chunks in the firebox and do it that way. will mostly be smoking chicken, briskets, tenderloins, and ribs. thanks in advance for your input.

123_1.jpeg

If your going to be smoking ribs, chicken, briskets, etc. I would go with a wood burning firebox. You have plenty of space & the flavor will be much better than propane & wood chunks. If you want to cold smoke sausage or bacon, you could always put a hot plate in there with chips or an AMAZEN tube or tray.
Al

Al thanks for the response. Using the grill I want to use for the firebox. Any idea on how to incorporate it? And as far a wood burning. Your taking like the wood chunks I can buy at local b&m stores?

Rained all day yesterday so got back at it today.

Here’s the finished product. Just need to build racks for the inside and plum up the firebox. and mortar the joints between the block. Started to rain on me both days so figured I would hold off till next weekend. Did a shingle roof to keep the weather out. Any input on how to build the racks on the inside would be greatly appreciated.
FB870335-C070-4CF9-B6A7-A6D34B917EB1.jpeg
4B54C2F3-B2A4-4B5B-8D2F-62A6D14E34C1.jpeg

3BE326E8-9DDF-4107-8981-0F7B74F56BD1.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky