New Horizon Classic 20" have questions for using wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebigman65

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
So I just got this new smoker. I have been using a Brinkmann Verticle for the last few years. I just finished seasoning it and had a couple of questions:

- when you use wood you can start it out with a small load of charcoal and get it up to temp.but how do you add wood when you have all the smoke you want during your cook?.. so if I am doing a pork butt and I smoke it for 4 hours out of 8 how do I keep the heat going without adding smoke?

- I have been using an automated stoker on the Brinkmann...where would you recommend installing this on the Firebox? Or would you?

Thanks everyone!

I have a 20" marshal, you can start it how ever you want, i use charcoal, then go to straight wood. Size of chuncks can help some with more/less smoke. You can foil early to stop smoke intake into meat, but it's never been a problem for me. I just cut my wood into varying sizes, size of your fist to just able to close the door. You noticed, you didn't get an operators manual..... The fun of learning your smokers characteristics....

I would say if you have all the smoke you want you either have to wrap the meat or just use charcoal. However, I've never had too much smoke from using only splits, especially if you have a clean hot fire burning.

Ya I noticed when i was seasoning the smoker yesterday, the splits would flame up pretty good when the door was open, and the smoke would be minimal, but once I closed it it was getting too thick....I guess I am just gonna have to play around with it and see what works best....not to find lots of wood!....lol.

Any ideas on if I should use a stoker and where it should go?

Muhlberry, Hickory, Apple, Oak, Hackberry, Maple, Cherry......Those are my normal's... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky