New favorite hotdog/frankfurter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I found my new favorite. Commonly available, but on the expensive side in my opinion.

Boar's Head uncured Frankfurters....

Never tried them before, because of the cost.

Anyway, saw some in the Commissary yesterday and took the plunge.

Threw some on the Weber tonight and got them a little blackened and crispy.

On a piece of baguette with some mustard and sweet relish....

I am addicted.....

AWESOME dog, worth every penny.

They are good, but mine are better. That’s truth but another truth is that when I’m out and we need dogs, I buy the BH dogs. They work well.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Koegels and Dietz & Watson also make decent franks for store bought. I grew up eating franks our local butcher made in house and these are pretty close.

Koegels and Dietz & Watson also make decent franks for store bought. I grew up eating franks our local butcher made in house and these are pretty close.
Never tried Koegels. IMO the Boar's Head was better...

Interesting, I’ve seen these before in my local store but the price has kept me away. I think Memorial Day weekend will be a good weekend to give them a try. Thanks for posting About these.

Interesting, I’ve seen these before in my local store but the price has kept me away. I think Memorial Day weekend will be a good weekend to give them a try. Thanks for posting About these.
+1. Been eyeing those.

I am pretty fortunate to have access to some awesome knockwurst here and IMO they're like a jumbo primo hot dog.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I am an engineer for my day job and I have had the privilege of being inside many manufacturing facilities...including hot dogs. Most were disgusting in their manufacturing process. (Kraft) Oscar Mayer hot dogs were not. They used whole sides of beef or pork.

I generally don't eat hot dogs, but if I had to, it would be Oscar Mayer or better. Never had Boars Head and will certainly give that a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

I've been using those franks for years. Good stuff Slice them, fry them up with a little onions and heat and add them to a can of beans. They make great chili dogs MMMM
Giant chili dog.jpg

Boars Head is quality, but way too salty for my diet.
I like the flavor of Costco (Kirkland) dinner franks except for the 2 days of salt in a single. I make bagel dogs out of them and give away to my fans.
I didn't look at the label, but what I liked was the notable absence of salty taste!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky