New and first try with Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott101

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all,

New to the forum and smoking.  I have a pellet grill and tried my first chicken.  I had run the smoker for about a half hour at 400 to burn off the anything inside.

Did a whole chicken, kept if very basic so I can learn.  Put the chicken on at 350, cooked to 175 (let warm before putting on grill).  The chicken was super moist... but.... the skin was really tough (leather) and the meat didn't have a real smoke flavor.  I used a pellet mix of hickory, oak and apple.  Any sugguestions welcome, having fun learning!

Thanks

too hot and fast. Try 250ish to start. Last half hour or so, bump it to 300 for crispy skin. Also, chicken only needs to go to 165 IT.

Reactions: duffman
Scott , hello. Glad you joined us and hope you come to call this home for all your Smoking needs. Please feel free to ask us questions , we enjoy giving our honest opinion.

I see you stated your Chicken at 350*F and pulled at a good time. The grill was the logical choice ; getting crispy skin is a hard to do in a smoker - if at all
cool.gif
. And you are doing  exactly what every new Smoker should do...practice , a lot , and get to know your smoker's limits and strengths. A good suggestion is to keep a log (of sorts) to record your cooks and note recipes and changes or ideas in your methods.

Hope you "DO" have fun and as always . . .

Yep....cook at lower temps like 250° or so except for the last 20-30 minutes for birds.   Cook to 165° in the breast and 170°-175° in the thighs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky