Need

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mallardsmacker

Original poster
May 15, 2022
1413B151-3DF8-4952-B79C-9EB6931FC778.jpeg
23478C67-0474-42D4-A1D9-93E2164822EA.jpeg
I build this grill/smoker the grill part works good but the smoking part not so good the side chamber I can only get up to 150 degrees and the top chamber 200 degrees with the fire box up to 700 degrees and i got butterfly valves on each pipe coming off the fire box I was wondering if I need bigger around chimney on them can someone help me on this it was my first build

Attachments

• 69D2676F-5292-4429-9B0C-0D21301C2FE5.jpeg
    69D2676F-5292-4429-9B0C-0D21301C2FE5.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 631892View attachment 631893I build this grill/smoker the grill part works good but the smoking part not so good the side chamber I can only get up to 150 degrees and the top chamber 200 degrees with the fire box up to 700 degrees and i got butterfly valves on each pipe coming off the fire box I was wondering if I need bigger around chimney on them can someone help me on this it was my first build
maybe longer chimney on side chamber? I yield to the esteemed experts

The pipes gong from the lower chamber to the cook chamber and side box need to be a lot bigger. They are not big enough to allow enough volume of heat into the two upper chambers. Maybe even remove the one to the smoke chamber, move it to one end, and add a second. One way or another you need to increase the allowable volume of heat and smoke to the cook chambers. Go ahead....ask me how I know this :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
The pipes gong from the lower chamber to the cook chamber and side box need to be a lot bigger. They are not big enough to allow enough volume of heat into the two upper chambers. Maybe even remove the one to the smoke chamber, move it to one end, and add a second. One way or another you need to increase the allowable volume of heat and smoke to the cook chambers. Go ahead....ask me how I know this :emoji_wink:

Robert
Do you think a bigger chimney would do anything because I can’t just pick it up and take it back to the shop it weighs 800 lbs lol . I just need 50 more degrees for my top and a 100 for the side

I would try extending chimney first, maybe just put a piece of scrap piece duct or pipe light a fire just to see if it works if not robert got ya covered he knows his stuff.

Robert
These are 3 inches you think 5 would be big enough round

Firebox to main cook chamber needs to be 10” minimum. The same going to the side smoker. If it was mine I would attach the side smoker to the main cooker directly. The exhaust pipes on each need to be minimum 4”.

Reactions: indaswamp
Do you think a bigger chimney would do anything because I can’t just pick it up and take it back to the shop it weighs 800 lbs lol . I just need 50 more degrees for my top and a 100 for the side
Any way you have access to a portable welder? If you can fabricate / cut the stuff you need at the shop and bring it home along with the welder you might be able to take care of things without having to move it.
Firebox to main cook chamber needs to be 10” minimum. The same going to the side smoker. If it was mine I would attach the side smoker to the main cooker directly. The exhaust pipes on each need to be minimum 4”.
He is absolutely correct. You'll need at least a 10 x 8 opening between the lower firebox and main cook chamber. Same with the side cooking chamber. Stack(s) need to be at least 4" in diameter for adequate draw from bottom to top and to eliminate the possibility of smoke stagnating in the cook chamber(s) and creating creosote.

Please take a look at this thread and take special note of the heat deflector I built on this. You may want to consider fabricating something to the same effect in the bottom of the cook chamber. If not you'll get a direct heat blast right up the middle of the cook chamber and torch everything there while any food on the sides won't cook. I could do a quick rudimentary sketch for you of what I have in mind if you think it'd help.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Any way you have access to a portable welder? If you can fabricate / cut the stuff you need at the shop and bring it home along with the welder you might be able to take care of things without having to move it.

He is absolutely correct. You'll need at least a 10 x 8 opening between the lower firebox and main cook chamber. Same with the side cooking chamber. Stack(s) need to be at least 4" in diameter for adequate draw from bottom to top and to eliminate the possibility of smoke stagnating in the cook chamber(s) and creating creosote.

Please take a look at this thread and take special note of the heat deflector I built on this. You may want to consider fabricating something to the same effect in the bottom of the cook chamber. If not you'll get a direct heat blast right up the middle of the cook chamber and torch everything there while any food on the sides won't cook. I could do a quick rudimentary sketch for you of what I have in mind if you think it'd help.

Robert
I’ve got a piece of I beam for a heat deflecter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky