Need more smoke in electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bjj1805

Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
My girlfriend just bought me a new electric smoker as I am fairly new to smoking. It seems to go through the chip tray in an hour or so but I do not get much smoke flavor. What am I doing wrong?

There is a lot of moisture on the door and little to no smoke

Do you have your vent wide open , chip trays usually need to be filled about every 45 minutes, what type of meat you smoking, what flavor chips you using.

Reactions: tallbm
I was trying to smoke a pork butt with cherry wood. There was a slight smell of smoke in the air but looking through the glass door you couldn’t see any smoke at all

Very frustrated. I had an old propane smoker that used to put the smoke right out with little to no issues

Hi there and welcome! Like smokerjim smokerjim said, you have to keep feeding wood chips like every 45 minutes. 1 load will not do hardly anything for smoke flavor :)

Also your smoker runs colder than it is telling you so bump up 25F degrees and that should help ensure the chips are burning.

I kept refilling the wood chips every hour but there never seemed to be much smoke. Looking through the glass door it looked like an oven-shouldn’t it be really smoky so you can’t see in there?
I did order a pellet tube today.
The pork turned out nice and tender but no smoke flavor

As others pointed out look into a tube or better yet mailbox mod . It's a pleasure to use and so easy and don't brake the bank. Do a little search there is tons of posts on it. Very simple to implement too.

Reactions: bigfurmn
If your MES has the chiploader tube on the side, try leaving the loader tuber sticking out about an inch or two.

3 choices come to mind, budget dependent;

All of the above is good advice. I am a fan of the mailbox mod, like checkdude said. Most times, I use chips in the tray, as well as pellets in a tube with the mailbox.

I kept refilling the wood chips every hour but there never seemed to be much smoke. Looking through the glass door it looked like an oven-shouldn’t it be really smoky so you can’t see in there?
I did order a pellet tube today.
The pork turned out nice and tender but no smoke flavor

Question. Did you wrap your pork butt in foil at some point? If so try going unwrapped the entire time and also crank the heat up. A pork butt does not care what temp you are cooking it at so long as you are not burning it.

I find people wrap large cuts of meat way to quickly for my tastes. If I'm spending hours and hours cooking something, I want the best flavor possible. I don't care about speeding up the cook.
To me the superior flavor of not wrapping or not wrapping early is much greater than cooking faster.
I simply just adjust my timeline to handle cooking something longer so I dont have to wrap. It also helps that I rock an electric smoker with a A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray for 12 hours of perfect smoke :)

Just some more info for you to consider :)

If you consider getting an A-maze-N tube, for an electric smoker, I would fill the tube just half way, turn it horizontally and quickly shake it sideways so it ends up half filled. In an electric smoker I feel a full tube is too much smoke. Just smoke....er..food for thought.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky