"Nearly Total" Lunar Eclipse is Tonight/Friday Morning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
How to see the eclipse
The lunar eclipse will be visible in North America, as well as parts of South America, Polynesia, eastern Australia and northeastern Asia, according to NASA.

For U.S. viewers the peak of the eclipse — when the moon is the most covered by Earth's shadow — will be at 4:03 a.m. ET. But the moon will begin to pass into the Earth's shadow much earlier, around 1 a.m. ET. At 2:19 a.m. ET, the moon will move into the umbra, the inner part of Earth's shadow and begin to look like a chunk is missing from it. It will turn red around 3:45 a.m. ET. NASA predicts the eclipse will last over 3 hours and 28 minutes. That would make it the longest partial lunar eclipse in 580 years.

To see the show, simply go outside and have a look. A pair of binoculars or camera with a tripod might enhance your view.

Last edited:
Thats 2:00am here. Sometimes I wake up about 3:00am and can’t go back to sleep, so might catch part of it, might not.

i have a celestron evolution 8" with star sense. i love the moon. and living 5 miles south of town i get nice dark sky's. last yr i even took bulb out of pole security lite. this yr haven't used much as bad back and neuropathy has been bad. get ur binoculars out

Reactions: bdawg
I completely forgot about it while out walking the dog at 0300. It was cloudy and had been raining, but when I left for work I could see it quite well exiting the eclipse thru the breaking clouds. Pretty neato bandito!!

Was all set up and ready and hoping for the weather to get better for a couple days . It did not :emoji_frowning2:

Oh well , hope I make it a few hundred years for the next real big one.
lol

David

I completely forgot about it while out walking the dog at 0300. It was cloudy and had been raining, but when I left for work I could see it quite well exiting the eclipse thru the breaking clouds. Pretty neato bandito!!
Well I was lucky to have a front row seat for the big solar eclipse.

4mg8OKX.jpg
We were smack dab on the center line of the path for the solar eclipse in 2017. People came from all over the world to watch it. We had an eclipse party, one of many across the city on that day and could watch the entire eclipse from my side yard
LbqYQqR.jpg

Traffic headed north from Colorado in the morning, and returning that evening.
2HjTd5m.jpg

Well I was lucky to have a front row seat for the big solar eclipse.

View attachment 516778
We were smack dab on the center line of the path for the solar eclipse in 2017. People came from all over the world to watch it. We had an eclipse party, one of many across the city on that day and could watch the entire eclipse from my side yard
View attachment 516779

Traffic headed north from Colorado in the morning, and returning that evening.
View attachment 516780
That's pretty cool. And love the pig with the glasses

It was like that here in 1972 july10th. It's written about in the song by Carly Simon "Your so Vain".
But at 14 years old, it was weird and a little strange to have it so dark in the middle of the day.

David

That's pretty cool. And love the pig with the glasses

It was like that here in 1972 july10th. It's written about in the song by Carly Simon "Your so Vain".
But at 14 years old, it was weird and a little strange to have it so dark in the middle of the day.

David

I turned five... four days later. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky