National Championship Citrus Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

satisfied mind

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I'm having some people over for the Florida vs. Ohio State game tomorrow night and I'm cooking up a citrus feast.

I'm brining a very large hen, a medium hen, and two cornish hens. I have a favorite brine that I like to use which consists of:

1 gallon of water
1/2 gallon of orange juice
1/4 gallon of apple-cranberry juice
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup of lime juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup maple syrup
two diced apples
twenty sliced grapes
7-8 sticks of cinnamon
7-8 bunches of mint
2 cups kosher salt
2 cups turbinado sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup lemon pepper salt seasoning

I'm also going to use Bad Byron's Butt Rub on both hens, but I want to try something else for the cornish hens. Does anyone have a suggestion for a glaze or something else?

I just got the birds in the brine and I'll put them on around 11 a.m. tomorrow morning to cook until kickoff, around 7 p.m. in the evening.

I love this forum, I've already learned so much.

Welcome to the SMF Satisfied
Just the brine and a good smoke sounds fascinating to me...

Please do "roll call" and let everyone know your here....tell us more about your smoker and anything you would like to add.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky