My propane smoker does not have a separate firebox. There is a dividing wall with a vent. Does this work well?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

howiehorner

Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
My propane smoker does not have a separate firebox. There is a dividing wall with a vent. Does this work well?

Attachments

• 5B398CCF-AE42-44EC-BAFE-A7DF322088AA.jpeg
    5B398CCF-AE42-44EC-BAFE-A7DF322088AA.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 28
Since no pictures, I'm assuming it is open below the propane burner? If the burner is in a closed system a gas safety shut off valve should be used. I wouldn't recommend a propane burner in a closed system without a safety valve.

Would have to see the inside to be able to comment on the function, but if done correctly it should function to some level.

To clarify- it’s a wood burning smoker. It’s a propane tank. The dividing “wall” is located about where the weld seam for the round end connects. There is an opening that is level with the grates and a gap at the bottom, about where the coals would be. There is a door on that end and a vent/ damper door that would be level with the coal bed.

To clarify- it’s a wood burning smoker. It’s a propane tank. The dividing “wall” is located about where the weld seam for the round end connects. There is an opening that is level with the grates and a gap at the bottom, about where the coals would be. There is a door on that end and a vent/ damper door that would be level with the coal bed. This end is where the fire would be. Sorry I should have given more info and had pics.

Attachments

• 78DDB805-2B82-49E1-86E6-74DFC9FD1B01.jpeg
    78DDB805-2B82-49E1-86E6-74DFC9FD1B01.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 22
Ah....I understand now. Its not ideal but if it burns good and the air flows it should work just fine as an offset.

Reactions: howiehorner
Just know that I get a very nice smoke profile in my little chargiller portable just doing an indirect smoke.....yours is just a little bit more restricted out flow version (and bigger). I would say it would work just fine with 1/2 the baffle missing..... Just the bottom section like the slow and sear attachments for a kettle...... indirect cooking is very effective!
chargriller-smoke.jpeg

Reactions: howiehorner
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky