My new smoker - Smokin-It

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Woo Hoo a new toy!

NSF? Are you going pro?

Oddly I have to compromise on my purchases, but when she .... It is another story.

I am working on going pro. I have started writing my HACCP document and am looking at different ways to break into business.
Yeah, I had to point out that she was eyeing up a major purchase or two in the future and I would complain in equal measure. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

That idea worked out better in my head.

I am trying to find an information resource to get me going toward the paperwork and regulation issues.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Fueling Around
Smoker arrived a day early. That is good tidings.

Got it all assembled and seasoned. Not sure what I will be doing in it first. Most likely it will be a pork shoulder even though I got it mainly for bacon.

The control system seems pretty advanced so there will be a learning curve as I learn a new controller.

Did you get it with the "Bella" exterior smoke generator? Was your query about it or the internal pan?

Did you get it with the "Bella" exterior smoke generator? Was your query about it or the internal pan?

I did not get the exterior smoke generator. Do you think that would be a wise purchase?

Also, I was more interested in the jerky blower accessory. Do you have any experience using that accessory?

You can always add the exterior smoke generator later. If you have no trouble generating good smoke inside, it seems unlikely you'd want to add even more. But if you cook over a wide range of temps, it can be hard sometimes to keep the chips/chunks smoking without either flaming up or going out. I think that's the customer base for an external smoke generator...it generates smoke pretty much uniformly regardless the temp in the cooker.

Can't comment on the jerkey blower...don't even know how it works. I think it's blowing up to increase the draft through the smoker to aid drying. So of course don't use with a water pan, which does the opposite.

The jerky dryer is similar to a computer fan. I draws air out of the smoker. As for the Bella, you smoker likely may have come pre-drilled for it so you can add it later if you desire. Check out the youtube video for smoke generator and see if you would foresee a use for one:

Reactions: JC in GB
You can build a jerky dryer for little money and effort using a PC fan and a short piece of PVC pipe. There isn't much to it and I think that there are some how-tos on the Smokin-It forum.

The jerky dryer is similar to a computer fan. I draws air out of the smoker. As for the Bella, you smoker likely may have come pre-drilled for it so you can add it later if you desire. Check out the youtube video for smoke generator and see if you would foresee a use for one:

Thanks for the video. Very informative. I think I am going to buy the Bella generator and make my own jerky drier. Ihave most of the parts I need already.

JC

Some get charcoal, some get ash. I get ash most of the time but once in a while it will be ash with bits of charcoal. I have never ever worried about it. Many people do but I do not. I just let it rip. And take what it give. Food is always smokey and good.
Interesting. I just got a Smokin-It 2D and after seasoning yesterday, smoked a slab of baby-back ribs today with two lumps of Apple wood I got in a big bag from Lowes. One of the lumps turned completely to ash, the other looks to be a lump of charcoal (I’ll know for sure tomorrow when it’s all cooled down and I clean it).

So you got 1 of each. Now you know. Some folks worry about it and some, like me, worry about important things like the price of beer to go with the Q🤔

• Haha
So you got 1 of each. Now you know. Some folks worry about it and some, like me, worry about important things like the price of beer to go with the Q🤔
Can't say I'm worried about it. It was just an observation. My beer fridge holds 80 cans and is mostly stocked up with good IPAs and some Stouts, bit not completely. I need to go shopping for more though.

Update on my Smokinit 3.5D smoker.

My first cook was back ribs. They turned out well and finished faster than in my Stump's Baby - Sarina.

Used Lawry's, head country original, and a local BBQ sauce. Mad dog and Merill

Ribs were a bit on the dry side.

I usually cook my ribs naked in Sarina and they come out fine. Next time I will wrap them. That should fix any dryness.

I used 6.25 ounces of cherry wood chunks for smoke.

Wood turned about 2/3 ash 1/3 charcoal. Imparted plenty of smoke flavor on the ribs.

I am impressed with this smoker. Whoever designed these units really knew what hardcore pit masters want in an electric smoker.

To anyone trying to break into smoking, don't waste your money on a box store electric smoker.

I have a few ideas for making the jerky drier. Will report when I have it put together.

JC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky