My first UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CReis

Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Hello everyone!!
  • A couple of months ago i got in my hands a heat expansion tank.​
  • Then the idea to make it UDS (learned this word yesterday).​
  • First step was to measure how exactly i wanted it and then make a sketch with what i wanted.​
IMG_20201205_110326.jpg

• Then i got it to a welder, and cut it open.

• Then i lit it on fire to remove the paint.

• Then i got it back to the welder, and told him what i wanted to be done.

As you see on the right hand side i have a handle. By that time i hadn't decided that i wanted a shelf there so this was kinda faulty.

• Then i lit it again to remove the paint from the lid.

• Then i sandered it (correct my english if its wrong) to remove all the paint and i painted the legs.

• Next step was to paint it, with a special paint to sustain up to 700 °C . For the paint to be effective i had to light it on fire. I did this 3 times.

• Used this as a vent

• The right hand shelf

• Finished

• The bolts have 2 different heights for the grill grate, depending what i'm grilling and how high i want the heat.

Also at the bottom instead of leaving the charcoals to the curvature (correct my english once again) i put a tray 5cm tall to put the coals in it and keep them flat.

enjoy

Next step is to add the thermometer, propably between the 2 racks

Feedback is always welcome!!

Sorry for 2 extra replies!! Couldnt put all images in one post!!

That looks great, will you mainly be using it for grilling or smoking? The reason I ask is that the coals will be way too close to the meat for smoking. You can remedy the problem by adding a heat defuser over your coals, although it won't be ideal. Something like a 1/4'' steel disk or a terracotta pot drip pan you want the heat defuser to only have about an inch to two inches around the perimeter of the cooking chamber.
The reason why people use the 55 gallon drums is, so they can get some space between the coals and the meat. I'd install your thermometer about 2'' above the top grate because you will likely be using the top the most.

Good luck too you.
Dan

That looks great, will you mainly be using it for grilling or smoking? The reason I ask is that the coals will be way too close to the meat for smoking. You can remedy the problem by adding a heat defuser over your coals, although it won't be ideal. Something like a 1/4'' steel disk or a terracotta pot drip pan you want the heat defuser to only have about an inch to two inches around the perimeter of the cooking chamber.
The reason why people use the 55 gallon drums is, so they can get some space between the coals and the meat. I'd install your thermometer about 2'' above the top grate because you will likely be using the top the most.

Good luck too you.
Dan

Tank you very much!!!
I was thinking for both, i'm planning to use a heat diffuser when i'm going to smoke and if it doesnt work out, there is on the side a tube, which i can modify it into a small box for smoking.

Nice job

Richie

Thank you!!!!

Looks like it should work! Looking forward to more cooks with it!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky