MY FIRST RIBEYE THIS WEEKEND!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyk68

Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Lakeville (Northeast) Pa
Going to do my first rib eye on the smoker this weekend, and just have a few questions. I am using the Cuba Libre recipe that I found here, but was wondering if an au jus was usued with this. Figured it was but just wanted to be sure. Also whats the best wood to use? I was thinking apple or Cherry. I get my heat from lump, and just need the wood for smoke. The piece of meat was 17 lbs, but I am going to cut it in half. Figuring 6-8 hrs for an 8 lb piece of meat start to finish, plan on pulling at 115, am I in the ballpark if the temp is 225-250? First time I have tried a piece of meat that costs this much, I have all the confidence in the world, but just wanted to make sure on a few of these questions. Thanks.

Johnny, The NSF recommends that beef should be cooked to 145 degrees internal temp. This will still result in a 'rare' doneness in your rib roast while achieving high enough internal temps to kill any food borne bacteria.

Follow Ranger72's recipe as written but if you want your roast to be on the rare side, pull it at 130*-135* internal temp and then "tent" it with aluminum foil and allow the roast to rest-the roast will continue to cook in this manner. Pull the foil when the internal temp reaches 140*-145* and serve to you guests. You won't have any au jus, so make up some extra mop sauce and serve it on the side.

Cherry is a light flavored wood best used for chicken, lamb & pork. Since beef can handle a heartier wood, I'd use oak or hickory or even a little mesquite.

Johnny
I cook these lot, I cook at 275 plus, mesquite lump on this cut is great. Oak or fruitwoods for smoke.
I take them to 120 internal and then turn up the heat to get more carmelization and pull at 127 internal, tent with foil and it finishes at 130 during the hold.
For me 140 145 is too high finish.
Jim

Ah, this is where personal preference kicks in. Some like it rare while others like it medium and when you're paying for prime or ribeye you should get to eat it exaclty the way you like it :D (especially if you're cooking
wink.gif
). Myself, I like it a little more done and cook it to 140* then let it rest. The middle is pink and juicy but not blood raw, which is just right for me. 8)

I've done prim rib, duck and chicken on my weber grill. I bought the extension ring and rotisserie. I placed a pan under 1/2 filled with water and to catch the dripping. I stacked lump charcoal on eachside but not directly under the meat. I also used mesquite for the smoke. For the beef I pull it at 130 deg and tent it with foil this will bring the temp of the meat to approx 140 deg <cook over time>.. I'm wondering if I should modify my smoker to accept a rotisserie or not .. Wonder if its worth it? Any thoughts on this?

Joe

Man was that amazing. That was by far the best meal that I have done so far. I got a 17lb roast and cut it in half. Followed the recipe, and that thing was just awesome. Melted in your mouth. Used Royal Oak lump and Cherry chunks for smoke. Pulled it at 125 and let it sit for 1/2 hour, cant say enough good about it.

WHAT!!! NO PICTURES??? :P Glad it turned out great for you JohnnyK. I had a 4 lb. New York Roast that I was going to smoke for Sunday dinner, but I let the wife talk me into cutting it ino NY Steaks :D So it was quality grill time on Sunday and I gave the GOSM a rest. Monday it was Ribs and rib tips, ABT's and my Wicked Baked Beans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky