MES140S Mixed reviews?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Well I finally did it. I killed my MES30. Completely my fault. Got it wet cleaning it. I mean deep cleaning with a power washer. It was great and never gave me any problems for years. now it keeps popping the GFCI breaker that it has been plugged into for the entire life of the smoker. Oh well, fair winds and following seas old smoker.

Time to replace it. Looking at Academy and the MES140S is only $199. I am reading mixed reviews about it. People love it or hate it. It looks as if Masterbuit has replied to every bad review with the standard letter... Please contact us .. We are sorry.... Anyway, I had a great experience with my first Materbuilt and would like to buy another. Anyone want to talk me out of it? I am not a Smokeologist or anything. Smoke about 10 briskets a year, ribs and chicken. I smoke cheese quite a bit, but I could use a box and the AMAZN pellet tray. Anyway, all comments welcome.

I bought the MES 140. For the money, you wont find a better smoker. Got an AMNPS and an Auber PID and its pretty flawless. When this unit eventually goes, I will buy a Smokin It. That smoker is roughly 4X the cost of the MES.

The MES will do you well as long as you understand it's limitations.
-Tiny chip tray makes you a slave to your smoker (get an AMNPS)
-Factory temp controls lacks decent accuracy (get an PID controller)

Academy is a GREAT company to deal with. Buy it with confidence.

Good Luck!!!

Rob if you have a air compressor blow that thing out . I've used a power washer on mine with no trouble . Only on the inside . Not sure how wet you got what , but I would hit it with some air and see if it dries out . Maybe even put a work light inside to heat things up , just keep an eye on it .

As far as the " toxic fire " that is not a common trait of a MES .

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky