MES 40 Bluetooth - `40 Degree difference between smoker read and Signals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splendorlex

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Lake Geneva, WI
Hey everyone--

I've had my MES40 that I got from Bass Pro for a few years now. And I have to be honest, though I love it when it works, it's had consistent issues. I'm on my third heating element (and I got the "first one free" from MB, but now I have to buy them to replace) and now I'm having temp issues. I'd noticed lately that my cook times seemed to be way off, even for stuff that was relatively fast and easy on the smoker. (Like pork loin or chicken thighs.) I did ribs a couple of weeks back and they took forever and just never got right. Anyhow, I started to think maybe my temps were inaccurate.

I had been using cheaper temp probes like the Inkbird, but since I felt like I was having temp issues I finally sprung for the Signals from Thermoworks. I trust their products immensely and it's about time I got the real deal wireless setup.

So I have the smoker running today, it's in the low to mid 50's right now in Wisconsin, and I can see that the smoker is close to 40 degrees cooler than the MES reads. I have it set to max at 275 and here's what it's at right now. This is using the Signals probe clipped to the second rack from the bottom, so close to the center of the smoker.

PXL_20210424_140822346.jpg

Now of course I can smoke at that temp, and it might be around where I'd like it to be, but this is pretty bad. I can't see anything that might be causing the problem, but perhaps I got another bad heating element, this time in a different way.

All that being said, I think I'm just going to live with it. As long as I know the actual temp I can work with it. I'll just be focusing more on using my WSM 22 from here on out.

Just curious when the last time you cleaned the temp probe inside the unit?

What generation is it ? Vent on top left or right , or on the side ?
Give some thought to an Auber controller . Make s a big difference . Just mention that because you say you like it when it works , and are buying replacement parts .
Good thought by kilo charlie kilo charlie above .
Clear off the top of the smoker too .

What generation is it ? Vent on top left or right , or on the side ?
Give some thought to an Auber controller . Make s a big difference . Just mention that because you say you like it when it works , and are buying replacement parts .
Good thought by kilo charlie kilo charlie above .
Clear off the top of the smoker too .

Vent is on the top left. I THINK when I got it that it was the "good gen" but I'm not 100% sure.

And I have not cleaned the interior probe. Where is it? I know where the meat probe is, but not the temp probe.

Vent is on the top left. I THINK when I got it that it was the "good gen" but I'm not 100% sure.

And I have not cleaned the interior probe. Where is it? I know where the meat probe is, but not the temp probe.

Yes, Top vent on left is a good thing.

Tell me this---Does your MES have a window in the door??
If so is the front of the smoker facing between SouthWest & SouthEast??

The reason I ask is during this time of year (Spring, Winter, and Fall), when the Sun is Low in the Sky, it can shine through the window, and hit the Sensor on the back wall of the MES. This can cause the control to think it's hotter in the smoker than it really is, and shut the Heating element off. This can cause things to take a long time to cook.

I keep a piece of Plywood near my MES, so that I can lean it against the front of my Window to block the Sun from getting to that Sensor. I just look in the Window, and see if the sensor is in the Sun or in the shade. If it's in the Sun, I lean the Plywood over the Window.

This is not a problem in the Summer because the Sun is too high in the Sky to hit the sensor on the back wall inside the Smoker.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky