Meatball? Subs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
I love meatball subs. Definitely one of my favorite hot sandwiches to get at delis, bars, or even a certain regional gas station chain. But they're a mess. You take that first bite and you always end up with a meatball falling out the back end. My coworker and I were talking about this one day and we came up with a solution. I present to you... the bun length meatball.

Just your standard meatball recipe, except formed to fit in a sub roll.
20220731_091003.jpg

Cooked them indirect at about 300° for almost two hours over Kingsford Hickory until about 160°IT.
20220731_181601.jpg

I didn't a shot of them in the buns, but I apparently didn't account for shrinkage. They lost a little during the cook. I'll have to adjust for that next time.
20220731_193303.jpg

Ladled on some jarred, but heavily doctored up, pasta sauce and some provolone and under the broiler. Did some homemade steak fries on the side for the first time.

The finished product was a little stronger on the smoke than I was expecting. I'll probably use something other than hickory next time. I think it over powered the rest of the flavors.
20220731_194326.jpg

🤣 I love the idea!! Points for putting it to the test and making a tasty hot sandwich!!! I’d be wary of flavored charcoal. I haven’t researched them, but suspect the flavor can’t be great. Real hickory definitely adds a flavor, but in a clean burn I don’t think it ever gets close to being overpowering.

Creative and fun! Thank you for posting!

Looks really good to me. The melted cheese is over the top!

I love meatball sandwiches, too.
I have learned that most Italian sausage is not smoke friendly.
I personally would just pasteurize them in the oven
This has inspired me for lunch.

I like a good meatball sub and that is a great idea I need to try thanks for posting it

This is genius. I just made 4# of meatball mixture grinding my own pork and beef, I will definitely try this next time I want a sammich.

Nice smoke ring and a great idea. Nothing worse than taking a bite of a sub and having a meatball shoot down your chest and into your lap. Ruined many a tee shirt this way.
Jim

🤣 I love the idea!! Points for putting it to the test and making a tasty hot sandwich!!! I’d be wary of flavored charcoal. I haven’t researched them, but suspect the flavor can’t be great. Real hickory definitely adds a flavor, but in a clean burn I don’t think it ever gets close to being overpowering.

Creative and fun! Thank you for posting!
Thanks.

The apple is pretty good. From what I can tell, it seems to have a very similar flavor to adding chunks. The charcoal isn't really flavored. It looks to have smaller shreds of the wood as part of the briquettes.

But regardless, hickory was the wrong choice here.

Reactions: bauchjw
I love meatball sandwiches, too.
I have learned that most Italian sausage is not smoke friendly.
I personally would just pasteurize them in the oven
This has inspired me for lunch.
For us, meatballs usually go directly into the sauce raw and simmer off and on for a couple days.

Thanks, guys. I will definitely be doing this again.

But there is one downside that I didn't factor in. The voids between regular meatballs give a place to hold extra sauce. Just ladling over the top wasn't enough and we needed to dip.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks, guys. I will definitely be doing this again.

But there is one downside that I didn't factor in. The voids between regular meatballs give a place to hold extra sauce. Just ladling over the top wasn't enough and we needed to dip.
And having to dip is a bad thing? LOL. Man yeah,,,bring on the sauce.
Jim

Reactions: LoydB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky