Maturing Chamber Cold Dehumidifier Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I wanted to put this up as a separate thread so people can find it easier. I recently built a 42.5cu.ft. maturing chamber using a Stainless Steel double door commercial freezer. I used Peltier TEM technology for the cooling system. The cooling water used in that system does not go below the dew point of the chamber so there is no condensation on the cooling cycle. Thus, I needed a way to remove moisture efficiently. A compressor dehumidifier is way more efficient than a peltier system so that is what I used. I basically followed this youtube for my build:

Except I used a magic chef freezerless 1.7cu.ft. refrigerator because it already had a drain with the cooling plate situated vertically over the drain. I just needed to make a couple baffle plates to divert the air over the cooling plate.

Fabricating the baffle plates:

The mounting brackets for the baffle plate over the cooling plate..I used some 2" C channel. secured the spacers in place with gorilla glue for easier install.
IMG_20220520_145117.jpg

IMG_20220520_145127.jpg

Made some spacers out of 1/2" HDPE to move the cooling plate out from the wall for better contact with the air for dehumidification.

The 1 1/2" intake hole in the dehumidifier refrigerator, clips installed on the cooling plate.
IMG_20220520_213900_1CS.jpg

The outlet hole in the dehumidifer refrigerator went through the back wall by the compressor to avoid condenser lines in the sides of the refrigerator., you can see the lower baffle plate clips installed here:
IMG_20220520_213917.jpg

Outside view; You can also see the water drain hose right there in the middle of the picture. I just slipped a 3/8" vinyl hose on it and it was good to go.
IMG_20220520_213944.jpg

The intake fitting installed in the chamber ceiling:
IMG_20220521_191438.jpg

The 1 1/2" outlet fitting installed in the chamber...this is where the header is placed over the outlet.
IMG_20220521_190949.jpg

Baffle plate over the cooling plate installed in the little refrigerator, return air fan installed:
IMG_20220521_211937.jpg

Top baffle plate installed in the little refrigerator, sealed with silicone:
IMG_20220521_214518.jpg

The intake and outlet hose orientation on top the cabinet:
IMG_20220522_135030.jpg

That one screw behind the temperature adjustment was a PITA to install! Had to use one of those small screw tip hand ratchets and get one small bite at a time.
IMG_20220521_214523.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Currently, I am using (2) 3.5-5.4CFM fans to move air through the dehumidifier refrigerator. This moves roughly 1/8th of the volume of the chamber through it in 1 minute. I am going to upgrade the fans to 11.4CFM and that will move a little over 1/4 volume through the dehumidifier (dH) in 1 minute. The fans should arrive sometime late Monday. I'll see how the system responds to the change, but it should help with dH response time.

I wanted to put this up as a separate thread so people can find it easier. I recently built a 42.5cu.ft. maturing chamber using a Stainless Steel double door commercial freezer. I used Peltier TEM technology for the cooling system. The cooling water used in that system does not go below the dew point of the chamber so there is no condensation on the cooling cycle. Thus, I needed a way to remove moisture efficiently. A compressor dehumidifier is way more efficient than a peltier system so that is what I used. I basically followed this youtube for my build:

Except I used a magic chef freezerless 1.7cu.ft. refrigerator because it already had a drain with the cooling plate situated vertically over the drain. I just needed to make a couple baffle plates to divert the air over the cooling plate.

Fabricating the baffle plates:

The mounting brackets for the baffle plate over the cooling plate..I used some 2" C channel. secured the spacers in place with gorilla glue for easier install.
View attachment 636940
View attachment 636941
Made some spacers out of 1/2" HDPE to move the cooling plate out from the wall for better contact with the air for dehumidification.

The 1 1/2" intake hole in the dehumidifier refrigerator, clips installed on the cooling plate.
View attachment 636942

The outlet hole in the dehumidifer refrigerator went through the back wall by the compressor to avoid condenser lines in the sides of the refrigerator., you can see the lower baffle plate clips installed here:
View attachment 636943
Outside view; You can also see the water drain hose right there in the middle of the picture. I just slipped a 3/8" vinyl hose on it and it was good to go.
View attachment 636944

The intake fitting installed in the chamber ceiling:
View attachment 636946

The 1 1/2" outlet fitting installed in the chamber...this is where the header is placed over the outlet.
View attachment 636945

Baffle plate over the cooling plate installed in the little refrigerator, return air fan installed:
View attachment 636947
Top baffle plate installed in the little refrigerator, sealed with silicone:
View attachment 636948

The intake and outlet hose orientation on top the cabinet:
View attachment 636950

That one screw behind the temperature adjustment was a PITA to install! Had to use one of those small screw tip hand ratchets and get one small bite at a time.
View attachment 636949

Nice pics. I now know how you set that fridge dehumidifier up. That will work quite well I would think.

JC

Reactions: indaswamp
I hope so... Just need to size the fans and the hose size right for optimal performance.
I used 1 1/2" hose because I got it for free. I will try the 1 1/2" 11.4CFM fans I have on order to see if I get better airflow. If not, then I will need to use 2" fans with 2" fittings and oversize the hose. I found this:
2-1/2 x 10' Ultra Flex Clear-Vue Heavy Duty PVC Hose - MADE IN USA!

One way or another, I'll get it right.....

Last edited:
So, My new chamber has been up and running for testing since I put power to it Last Monday. This is day 6. The slow airflow through the dehumidifier refrigerator coupled with the intake and exhaust fans only powering on with the controller when the dehumidifier kicks on has allowed significant ice build up on the chiller plate such that it is impeding the airflow over the chiller plate. I switched the fans over to constant on so the ice build up will melt when the dehumidifer refrigerator kicks off.

The new higher flow rate fans should help...

The cooling system is working awesome though!!!!

The dH system is performing great! I swapped out the intake and return hose with 2.5" dust collection hose and 2" PVC fittings. Much better airflow. I also am now using 11.54CFM fans and the higher airflow keeps ice from building up on the cooling plate. After the first trial run of Chorizo salamini sticks, the maximum evaporation rate this little system can handle is about 330-350grams water vapor per 24hours. This system is more than enough to handle a home refrigerator full of drying product.

Last edited:
The dH system is performing great! I swapped out the intake and return hose with 2.5" dust collection hose and 2" PVC fittings. Much better airflow. I also am now using 11.54CFM fans and the higher airflow keeps ice building up on the cooling plate. After the first trial run of Chorizo salamini sticks, the maximum evaporation rate this little system can handle is about 330-350grams water vapor per 24hours. This system is more than enough to handle a home refrigerator full of drying product.

That is some nice work but is the part in red correct?

That is some nice work but is the part in red correct?
Yes. The little fridge is only 1.7cu.ft. and with the higher airflow of 11.45CFM, it only chills down to around 50*F. Any ice that forms on the plate melts before the next dH cycle starts.

Edit to add:
grammar corrected...it reads as it should now piney.

Last edited:
Just an update...
the little dH refrigerator is working great! since July 2022 when I started running the chamber with product it has pulled out 3.75 gallons of moisture from the chamber. Since there is no condensation on the cooling cycle, all the moisture evaporating off the salumi must be removed by this dehumidifier. During hot humid weather-mainly in the summertime- I get a humidity spike when I open the chamber doors so the dH unit is also pulling out the added moisture from the humid air exchange of the room, but I'm really only opening the chamber once a day at the most so this is negligible. The delay timer is working great! I have increased the time to about 3 minutes to allow the fridge to cool down sufficiently before the fans turn on.

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky