Made some sweet maple pork jerky for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RrmyGuy

Original poster
May 14, 2022
I finally decided to make up a few recipes myself, strip up a slab of center loin, split into 3 groups and give it a go. First, I tried a recipe with a maple powder that I located on the internet. Next, I whipped up a marinade using maple extract and a sweet molasses powder. And Last I came up with a recipe using good old top shelf maple syrup. They all looked pretty much the same when they were finished, nice Mohagany color, sweet maple scent, but they differed in flavor..... The best tasting was the top shelf maple syrup, but it was too sticky for my liking. If you were going to eat a few sticks, you better be ready to rinse your hands off right after. The other two tasted pretty much identical, good, but missing something, maybe some brown sugar. I thought about using the two without syrup together, and using the powder as a light rub. I dunno, what are your thoughts? All 3 recipes were pretty much the same, the biggest difference was the maple flavoring. Some soy sauce, a bit of Worchester sauce, a dash of apple cider vinegar, white sugar, curing salts, smoked paprika, and a little black pepper. Sorry, I usually take plenty of pictures but I was doing some running around and my son was manning the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_144627[1].jpg
    IMG_20220621_144627[1].jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: mike243
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky