Low carb Chicken fried steak with biscuits and white gravy in the CI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
So the CI cooks continue and I keep getting more impressed using them. Tonight we got both the 10" and 12" in action. I had 3 beef cutlets left over from my Xmas Rouladan cook and immediately thought about this meal. Being a northern Yankee I have never had chicken fried steak but have seen it often enough on TV to want to try it. I also wanted to lower the carbs as that has been my diet for the last year losing 35lbs and dropping my A1C to 6.0, not sure if this meal is considered Keto, I will leave that up too jcam222 jcam222 ?

Started out pounding out the beef, I knew they very very thin maybe an 1/8" of an inch, next time I will go with the cube beef recommended. Pounded, double dredged in egg wash, carbquick with pepper, smoked paprika and a little salt and garlic. Put in the fridge for half hour to solidify the crust.
cfs1.jpg
cfs2.jpg

The wife started off crisping some bacon ( I stole some of the grease for the gravy)
cfs4.jpg

She than sautéed up the pearl onions, asparagus and the bacon along with a bit of balsamic, again the CI really excels at this type of cooking.
cfs6.jpg

Started on the carbquick cheddar biscuits, love these things.
cfs3.jpg

While the biscuits went into the oven I started on the white pepper gravy. made a rue out of butter, bacon grease and whisked in some cabquick. Added 3 cups of whole milk, pepper and some seasoned salt, still needed a little more thickening so I added maybe an 1/8 t of guar gum.
cfs5.jpg

Fried off the beef
cfs8.jpg

Biscuits done
cfs7.jpg

All plated up with the requisite adult beverage. Yes heavy handed on the gravy.
cfs9.jpg

Not bad for a first try, I knew going in the steak was probably too thin for this so easy fix next time. I would also next time spice up the gravy to really make it pop but I would certainly do this again. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Thx for looking - Cliff

So the CI cooks continue and I keep getting more impressed using them. Tonight we got both the 10" and 12" in action. I had 3 beef cutlets left over from my Xmas Rouladan cook and immediately thought about this meal. Being a northern Yankee I have never had chicken fried steak but have seen it often enough on TV to want to try it. I also wanted to lower the carbs as that has been my diet for the last year losing 35lbs and dropping my A1C to 6.0, not sure if this meal is considered Keto, I will leave that up too jcam222 jcam222 ?

Started out pounding out the beef, I knew they very very thin maybe an 1/8" of an inch, next time I will go with the cube beef recommended. Pounded, double dredged in egg wash, carbquick with pepper, smoked paprika and a little salt and garlic. Put in the fridge for half hour to solidify the crust.
View attachment 522337View attachment 522338
The wife started off crisping some bacon ( I stole some of the grease for the gravy)
View attachment 522341
She than sautéed up the pearl onions, asparagus and the bacon along with a bit of balsamic, again the CI really excels at this type of cooking.
View attachment 522342
Started on the carbquick cheddar biscuits, love these things.
View attachment 522343
While the biscuits went into the oven I started on the white pepper gravy. made a rue out of butter, bacon grease and whisked in some cabquick. Added 3 cups of whole milk, pepper and some seasoned salt, still needed a little more thickening so I added maybe an 1/8 t of guar gum.
View attachment 522344
Fried off the beef
View attachment 522345
Biscuits done
View attachment 522346
All plated up with the requisite adult beverage. Yes heavy handed on the gravy.
View attachment 522347
Not bad for a first try, I knew going in the steak was probably too thin for this so easy fix next time. I would also next time spice up the gravy to really make it pop but I would certainly do this again. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Thx for looking - Cliff
Looks really fantastic Cliff! I’ve actually never used the Carb Quick but I do know our little keto store carries it. I’m going to have to check it out sometime. Thanks for tagging me. For keto I would end up using heavy cream for the gravy as opposed to the milk.

Reactions: clifish
Looks really fantastic Cliff! I’ve actually never used the Carb Quick but I do know our little keto store carries it. I’m going to have to check it out sometime. Thanks for tagging me. For keto I would end up using heavy cream for the gravy as opposed to the milk.
yeah since I tested positive for the covid crap, I had to use what we had in the house. But I have to say, I have had worse hangovers than this version of the friggin virus.

yeah since I tested positive for the covid crap, I had to use what we had in the house. But I have to say, I have had worse hangovers than this version of the friggin virus.
Omicron actually put me on my butt big time just after Christmas. A good four days I barely moved. Others I know had it like a mild cold, you just never know. Glad it’s mild for you.

Awesome job! Looks like a diner meal I’d be happy to pay for to BS with friends while nursing a hangover! That’s supposed to be s compliment! Memories.

• Haha
Clifish you don't have to go really thin as you found out. All you need is tender. You can take round steak(or sirloin) and Jaccard it to death if you can't find cube steak. You also don't have to make milk gravy. You can make a roux using the grease and fond in the pan and then use water or beef stock to make a brown gravy which is my favorite way. Add a little Better Than Bouillon to make it even better. Just adjust your salt content.

Clifish you don't have to go really thin as you found out. All you need is tender. You can take round steak(or sirloin) and Jaccard it to death if you can't find cube steak. You also don't have to make milk gravy. You can make a roux using the grease and fond in the pan and then use water or beef stock to make a brown gravy which is my favorite way. Add a little Better Than Bouillon to make it even better. Just adjust your salt content.
Yeah I make a roux for my German hunters mushroom gravy often, wanted to try the white pepper gravy for this. Never tried better than bullion before, need to look into it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky