Love your Butcher, Denver Steak & Early Valentine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’m lucky and have an awesome butcher in our new city. Not only does he get incredible TriTip, a rarity on East Coast, but they like to talk and introduce different cuts all of the time. My last visit he had some beautiful meat for less than 6 dollars a pound with “Denver Roast” label. He said it was a relatively new cut, about 10 years or so and that it had an incredible taste. I had to try it at that price and did some research once home, both here and with google, pretty interesting cut!

Here is the cook!
Salt and pepper the night before, rested in fridge uncovered and on a rack. As experiment, MSG only for the triTip night before and uncovered in fridge as well.

Look at this meat!
31F1945A-5933-4E96-96E3-DCEFE6A6A4F3.jpeg

04868852-A5CB-4769-8A76-BB63836688D5.jpeg
5D932951-6F47-44A2-A342-BC4822901235.jpeg

It was about 20 degrees out the next day so I decided to “cold smoke” for a few hours just because…….
C284C4DA-A15F-4EA1-943A-E068EA2C2481.jpeg

Randomly decided my kettle needed to be involved and the thought was to use vortex to blast CI for sear, but that got overlooked at gametime
848F02B9-AD38-4785-BFA1-999F5066FD50.jpeg

Dumped charcoals and heated the CI while I slowly turned up heat on pellet pooper. Moved Denver steak to indirect on Kettle when IT hit 80, when IT 115 on indirect I threw it in CI with butter and flipped at 123, then pulled at 130. The Tri went into kettle indirect at IT 80 then over direct heat at 115 as well, also pulled at 130.
16C43B93-7A9B-473E-8C0A-E86341A25C80.jpeg
F3A85CDA-34EE-46E6-ABE5-9857DC2F7B83.jpeg
0A8FB84C-F54B-497A-AD36-B0C238F6426B.jpeg

382147E2-6D5D-48B0-83AD-47C060852629.jpeg
2367CBE8-2923-44BB-98A4-E43088CBF3C0.jpeg

Rested both about an hour, it was hard to wait!
Sliced Denver Steak/cut/roast
CED53733-AE26-4D6D-8892-15385C82FBA2.jpeg

Sliced Tri!
564AD8FD-7369-4FB4-9B10-CBA0DFC117EB.jpeg

Plated! I served the Tri with roasted spicy red pepper and sour cream sauce.
5FEB3315-E3F7-4336-ACE0-A6CD4BEF70CF.jpeg

Wow, the Denver Steak/roast/cut was phenomenal. I can’t recommend this cut enough. My wife tasted it and her eyes went wide and she declared it her favorite red meat cut.

Leftover Tri became todays sandwich with red pepper sauce, aged cheddar and shrooms!
771E5658-9D33-4291-80C8-381FF3AA947F.jpeg

And because it’s fun to laugh…. My daughters attempt at valentines card……we’re working on spelling! The rip is her loosing her temper when I unfortunately laughed!
CA3EDC62-39A2-44E5-AC6F-CBD78E1D6E65.jpeg

Last edited:
He said it was a relatively new cut, about 10 years or so and that it had an incredible taste.
A Denver steak is another name for an under blade steak. And blade refers to shoulder blade. If you have ever noticed how tender the 'horn muscles' around a pork shoulder blade are.... the Denver is the equivalent muscle on a beef. Why it's a new cut is that normally the packers cut a chuck roll (about 20#) and remove the blade bone which makes it easy to slice boneless chuck roasts. The Denver just remains hidden in that roast. It's the same deal with the flat iron steak, it normally stays hidden. But.... with the price of beef so high, if the packer takes the time to harvest the Denver or flat iron they essentially get about $14 dollars more per beef.

This is a boneless chuck roll. They carry them at Sam's Club, but you have to ask for one out of the back. They are popular with restaurants and people that grind their own burger or who want to cut their own chuck roasts. You can also trim out things like a chuck eye roast or chuck steaks, then grind the rest.
shktY.jpg

Amazing job on all of it man. It's awesome to have a butcher like that. They are becoming more and more scarce. They are pretty much nonexistant here. I heard about the Denver cut a while back and people reved about it but no one here really knows how to do it and you get glazed over stares or laughed at if you ask.

I couldn't have held it together with the card either. That is awesome!

Drooling pictures really add to your post! They look delicious! And your daughters card is priceless! I couldn't have not laughed either! I'm sorry for your daughter...mine is 29 and was here for a visit this weekend, for some unknown reason she called me an ass! Well ok, I might know why lol!

Ryan

Hell fire, Jed, that Denver roast, and tri-tip look fantastic! And the valentine card is priceless .... something memories are made of.

Reactions: bauchjw
Holy smokes Jed all that looks amazing. And then the sandwich! Awesome job bud. Cards funny as hell lol
Thank you Jake!

This is a boneless chuck roll. They carry them at Sam's Club, but you have to ask for one out of the back. They are popular with restaurants and people that grind their own burger or who want to cut their own chuck roasts. You can also trim out things like a chuck eye roast or chuck steaks, then grind the rest.
View attachment 523161
Thank you! The butcher was explaining how to get it out, I was at a loss and am happy to pay him for now! I did a lot of reading on it, really cool. Very very tasty cut!

Amazing job on all of it man. It's awesome to have a butcher like that. They are becoming more and more scarce. They are pretty much nonexistant here. I heard about the Denver cut a while back and people reved about it but no one here really knows how to do it and you get glazed over stares or laughed at if you ask.

I couldn't have held it together with the card either. That is awesome!
thank you! I hope you can find one, it’s really incredible!

Loved the meat pics. That looks crazy delicious. thirdeye thirdeye Thanks for the explanation of the cut. I live in Tri-Tip country and have never seen a Denver cut. That looks amazing.

The picture is hilarious. Might I suggest Ivermectin for the ass worms? Seems to be all the rage nowadays. Hahaha!
Thank you! It was very tasty! I love TriTip, but this is a new favorite!

Drooling pictures really add to your post! They look delicious! And your daughters card is priceless! I couldn't have not laughed either! I'm sorry for your daughter...mine is 29 and was here for a visit this weekend, for some unknown reason she called me an ass! Well ok, I might know why lol!
Ryan
Haha, thank you Ryan! I’ll trade you for some Chili! Yes, it’s awesome having daughters, but as a dumb dad I sometimes mess up and laugh when I shouldn’t! It was a sweet gesture that my lack of baring ruined! As you’ve warned me, that wont

Agree with everyone, I'd be delighted to sit down to either. The Denver steak looks delicious. I'll add it to the list.
thank you! You’re welcome anytime! I can’t recommend that Denver cut/steak too much, delicious!

Hell fire, Jed, that Denver roast, and tri-tip look fantastic! And the valentine card is priceless .... something memories are made of.
Thank you! Yes, the meal and card are now combined in my head as a wonderful memory!

You got my mouth watering there, Jed. Just like where you are, tri-tip is elusive here, but chuck is everywhere. Here's a couple of pictures of where Denver steak/roast comes from...

Of course this is a boneless chuck roast that most folks see in the store...
1643025027320.png

And here's the same roast broken down into the 3 main parts. The chuck eye at the top and the Denver cut at the bottom with some stew meat on the right. The chuck eye actually is right next to the ribeye and is usually much cheaper...
1643025222650.png

Thanks Jed! You been posting some awesome cooks yourself! But your daughters card still has me smiling!
Ryan
Thank you Ryan! It’s a lot of fun, and I’m glad the card has you smiling!!!!

A well deserved ride on the carousel, Jed.
Thank you! Very appreciated!

Nice cook . . . ass worm:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_laughing:
Congratulations on the carousel ride.:emoji_circus_tent:
🤣🤣🤣I’ve been called a lot, ass worm is now my favorite!🤣

Good lookin cook bud . Nice work .
Thank you!

Jed Jed Jed ,
That is a fine looking cook , plate and sandwich on next day.
Very well done and enjoy the spin
David
Thank you David! 3 Jeds? Wow, that is a compliment!!!🤣

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky