Louisiana Shrimp and Corn Bisque

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Indaswamp,

Thanks very much for posting your recipe. It looks like a lot's going there, but mostly prep work. Once you get the mise en place in order, it looks to be a pretty straight forward and engaging process.

I have most of the ingredients on hand and for those are missing, they're readily accessible. Might be tough to get freash super sweet corn in Chicago this time of year but I can sort that out. Forget the Creole tomato, also. A standard tomato will have to do. Funny, I was in Austin, TX last weekend for the Formula 1 race and while walking through a local HEB market for some provisions for our rental house I saw Creole tomatoes for sale. Just kept walking.

Some questions,
  • For the shrimp powder, I assume you're referring to 1 oz. packages. Is that correct?
  • The recipe calls for a "Dry" sherry. Do you know the style of sherry you used?
  • Does the completed recipe freeze well? I'm going to make the full 3 gallons, and thinking a freezing a portion of it.
Thanks again. I appreciate your effort in putting it together.

Some questions,
  • For the shrimp powder, I assume you're referring to 1 oz. packages. Is that correct?
  • The recipe calls for a "Dry" sherry. Do you know the style of sherry you used?
  • Does the completed recipe freeze well? I'm going to make the full 3 gallons, and thinking a freezing a portion of it.
Thanks again. I appreciate your effort in putting it together.
The shrimp powder is the 1.25 oz. packs.
For the sherry wine, as long as it is not 'cooking wine' which is fortified with added salt, and not very pleasant to drink.
Yes, the soup freezes well, but the cream will look clumpy when you thaw it until it is reheated...then it will smooth out.

I'm looking forward to trying this, maybe tonight even!

A helpful sourcing tip, if you can't find the shrimp powder, it is also commonly sold in the Mexican spice aisle at Safeway and Frys, Kroger, etc. I think they call it camaron powder. I also see it in the asian food aisles often.

thank you for posting.
i fixed a small pot of ettouffe this weekend while camping with crawdad tails as protein. wife asked about a lobster and corn bisque I made once but lost the receipe. I think yours would be perfect for that. I included shrimp in the orginal. what ratio would you go with shrimp and imitation lobster? she loves imitation crab/lobster meat, even better than real lobster, go figure?

indaswamp indaswamp
Cooking it up now for Veterans Day dinner! Got all the right ingredients. Simmering now waiting for steaks to finish, then shrimp and sherry!

20221111_174755.jpg

20221111_185241.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky