Looking into getting a pellet cooker. Suggestions welcome

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
hello all, been a while since I’ve been on here, been even longer since I’ve smoked anything (over a year)
I love wood smoking, I have over a rick of apple and pear I cut down and split 1.5 years ago and haven’t had the time to use any, on op of my normal hickory stack I have. Hard to find time between life happenings and a now 1.5 year old to find time to watch a wood smoker all day. Hence I’m looking at getting a pellet smoker. I’ve been tossing the idea around for a while now and just really started looking.

I’m looking currently at the Green Mountain Davy Crockett. I like that it’s portable, as I would use it camping. I also like th fact that it isn’t going to take up a lot of room, at least from what I hear. I’ve already got 2 grills and a offset smoker in my shed, along with pool supplies, yard equipment and such. Its just my wife and son and I, so I don’t need something with an enormous amount of cooking space, but I would like some testimonials from ones that have experience with this cooker. I also like The fact it has WiFi and I can monitor it from my phone if need be.
I’m open to other suggestions on pellet cookers too.

Budget: $500 and under
Want: WiFi, portability would be nice but not necessary
Need: well I don’t need any of it

Thanks ahead of time

Welcome back. When I decided I was going to enter the pellet revolution I started doing my homework and I became overwhelmed at one point (because I didn't know what I wanted and there are so many makes/models/options/bells/whistles..........) I bet you will find several to choose from in your budget & wants.

You know, if I lived 66 miles from Hutchinson, Kansas I think I'd drive there and try to make a deal on a Yoder except they're not very portable and they don't have wifi :(

Welcome back. When I decided I was going to enter the pellet revolution I started doing my homework and I became overwhelmed at one point (because I didn't know what I wanted and there are so many makes/models/options/bells/whistles..........) I bet you will find several to choose from in your budget & wants.

You know, if I lived 66 miles from Hutchinson, Kansas I think I'd drive there and try to make a deal on a Yoder except they're not very portable and they don't have wifi :(

Ha I was actually in Hutchinson today for work and I’ll be there again tomorrow.
Like I said, I don’t need portability, it’s just a nice feature. I have a table top charcoal grill I use for camping and it does fine and takes up no more space than a basketball.
WiFi would be nice just so I can do it remotely, if need be. I haven’t looked at Yoder’s yet actually.
Have you heard about pitboss classics? I like the feature of having a sliding searing grate for grilling if wanted. I’d like to know if it actually works too.

I've heard of many of them but only have actual experience with the Yoder 640 and it's a tank. You should check with Yoder to see if they have any specials straight out of their factory. I can tell you the Yoders are pricey but I've had mine since April and I couldn't be any happier with the YS640 that I own. It's awesome. You will love the ability to fill it with pellets and go to bed (on a known long smoke/cook such as a 15 hour brisket cooked @ 225 degs.) I've cooked some of my best BBQ in my pellet smoker and I'm still learning the in's and out's of this tank.

Good luck on your hunt. Take your time and pick the one that makes you happy :)

I 2nd what Will Smoke said.. Take a good look at Pit Boss.. You’ll get a lot for the money spent. For just below $500.00, you can get the PB Austin XL with 1000 sq inches of grilling space and solid construction.. No WiFi, but everything you could want in a pellet smoker/grill. FYI.. With all Pellet grill considerations, read the owners manual thoroughly, there is a learning curve... Good luck with your decision.

F7C1AFB5-AFBF-4D11-AACD-17664B7BA18F.jpeg
No wifi on the PB ut got a wifi thermometer, love mine

The sear station on the PitBoss does work. My wife likes her hot dogs burned black on the outside. I cook them normal on the parts of the grill away from the sear station. When they are done I move hers over the open fire and in a few seconds (ok maybe a couple of minutes) they are black like she likes them.

The sear station on the PitBoss does work. My wife likes her hot dogs burned black on the outside. I cook them normal on the parts of the grill away from the sear station. When they are done I move hers over the open fire and in a few seconds (ok maybe a couple of minutes) they are black like she likes them.
Thanks for the information. I really like some of the pitboss models at least from what I’m hearing and reading on their website.

I have the PitBoss 700FB. no WIFI , it has wheels but is heavy. i also have a propane, stick burner and a masterbuilt electric smoker. Got the Pellet smoker just to have, like you i didn't need it. i have smoked brisket and baby back ribs and had a good turn out. there is a learning curve on this type of smoker but that is with all smokers.

PitBoss also has a smaller version my buddy has for camping that works great and is portable but you will still need to find a place to plug it in.
upload_2018-9-11_7-45-11.jpeg

upload_2018-9-11_7-45-53.jpeg

upload_2018-9-11_7-46-13.jpeg

I have the 700 classic, I believe it's a great smoker/grill. I've only done about 12 cooks on it and have zero complaints. I clean it after every use and have not had any of the problems I have read others have. Most people don't read the directions or bother to research how to properly use their equipment. You're not going to get the same deep wood smoke taste as you would on a stick burner. You will get a smokey flavor and a great tasting food. You just need to learn how to use it. I'd say get it and use it.

Reactions: jake0531
Went to Walmart and looked at both the pit boss Austin xl and the classic. I think the classic would be perfect size for my household with room for growth. It seemed to be good quality, but you never know that til after years of use. My only complaint about it was the temperature control knob. I’t would be nice to have one that goes in smaller increments. Granted temps are going to swing either way but it goes 200, 225, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450. It would be nice to have 25 degree increments I think.

On the temp issue I don't think it will ever affect my cooking as my ability's don't require pinpoint accuracy,if I was a perfectionist it might make some difference but doubt my taste buds can taste a difference YMMV ,lots of choices and hard to pick just 1

go for it best in-class five year warranty

WARRANTY SERVICE

Contact your nearest Pit Boss dealer for repair or replacement parts. Dansons Inc. requires proof of purchase to establish a warranty claim; therefore, retain your original sales receipt or invoice for future reference.

So you can't just call them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky