Looking for some Help: Offset Fie Management Problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Progress sort of try building the fire on top of the fire box grate but without the fire basket and see what happens. I'm thinking you will get higher temps with getting the air under the fire and letting the ash fall down below the fire so it doesn't choke it down. I also don't think the ash will fly around because the fire will still be lower than what it was using the basket.
Let us know how it works

I'll give that a try. I guess I would probably need to use briquets as my starting coals, while I usually use lump. Lump will probably fall through the grate. No big deal though.

If this works you may need to modify that grate. I personally use a propane weed burner to get my fire started it works great and no charcoal of any kind to have to mess with or wait to get started good.

Old thread but I wanted to post an update. The builder picked the smoker up today, and is going to modify it. Aparently he modified his design based on my issues, and he is going to modify mine to be like the new ones he builds.

Basically what that means is he is going to cut the hood out entirely ( he will need to cut out the upper rack rail on that side to do it, then put it back in), then he is going to make it so the hood is user removable. He said the reason it is there in the first place is to force it to draw from grate level, and that if removed it will draw closer to the upper rack. That doesn't exactly make sense to me since the pipe is right at grate level, but whatever.

I asked him to see if there is any way he can make it not only removable, but fully adjustable so you can dial it in. I still have a feeling I will run with it all the way off, but would be interesting to play around with it if he can make it adjustable.

I also proved to him once and for all it is NOT user error on my part, because I bought a brand new traditional flow offset, and I do not have this problem or any problems with it. And chicken looks great cooked on the new one.

Thread on the new pit:

Hello Kevin. Sorry to hear about your struggles with the reverse flow. As I mentioned a few months ago, I have the same issues with chicken, turkey, and even bbq beans. I have not put forth the effort in finding the solution to this issue like you have. I thank you for that. I'll probably keep my Lang for a long time as I really enjoy cooking on it and I love the way my bbq turns out ( minus the poultry). I can cook some great chicken and turkey on my WSM without the water pan.. I have no experience on a traditional offset therefore nothing to compare it to. I am planning on adding a Lone Star Grillz 42 inch pellet smoker to the collection. I feel like with the combination of cookers I'll have, there will be nothing I can't cook regardless of the weather or the other problems that we've experienced. Good luck moving forward. This was a very useful thread and I hope it helps others down the road.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky